Jan 18, 2012
They are having an event starting at 9am on Jan 28. I could take my husband, but I have to rush because my mom's Parkinson's support group meets that morning as well. Plus I usually bring food to that and that usually means I eat all manner of tasty temptations (even though it's her meeting!). I'm not on a strict diet, just taking red yeast rice for lowering my cholesterol (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-yeast-rice/NS_patient-redyeast) and trying many baby steps such as yoga and walking whenever possible to be healthy the "natural" way. I could say this is my 2012 New Year's resolution, but I have been given this mission by my doc since July 2011, so I should really call it a lifestyle change. I may even try growing my own vegetables to be more in tune with nutritional matters.
Here's useful information from the Lighten Up SGV community:
Getting fit...one step at a time
- 1 mile = 2,000 - 2,500 steps
- The average step length for an adult is 2.5 feet
- Most adults walk 2-4 miles per hour.
- Most adults walk about about 750 - 1,500 steps in 10 minutes
- One city block is about 200 steps.
- 10,000 steps is 4 - 5 miles.
- One flight of stairs averages 10 steps.
- The width of walking 10 extra parking spaces-50 steps.
- Average distance, round trip, from a couch to a TV-8 steps.
- Most school tracks are 1/4 mile = 500-625 steps.