All Journal Entries Journals

Lucy 06-12-12 - Operation +6

Jun 12, 2012 - 4 comments
Tags:

Lucy

,

Cancer

,

chemo

,

Breast Cancer



We got a call from our vet today.  He talked to the Oncologist regarding the biopsy report from yesterday (see my journal "Lucy 06-11-12 - Operation +5").  Our vet said that we can decide to put Lucy through chemo or not.  There is a 50/50 percent chance that the cancer will spread as maybe or maybe not all the bad cells have been removed during the mammary glands removal operation.

If we put Lucy through chemo:
Positive - If the cancer spread, it will be slower due to the chemo
Negative - Lucy might experience some digestive problems due to the chemo.  Her bones might get affected as well.

If we do not put Lucy through chemo:
Positive - none of the negative above :-)
Negative - If the cancer spread, it might spread faster than with the chemo.

No clear answers anyway.  We will have to think about it, but we are leaning on no chemo.  At least we had good news, very good news.  We are so glad that we went that route ,(meaning doing the operation) as the results are good and Lucy is doing very well, jumping around, even if she shouldn't.  She does not disturb her stiches, therefore no use of the collar (that she does not like anyway).  

We are so happy that we are going out tonight for dinner to celebrate this good news.

Comments
Post a Comment
874521_tn?1375890587
by opus88, Jun 12, 2012
another huge decision to make.....you both deserve a dinner out to celebrate and relax...

I would get more clarification on the comment "if the cancer spreads, it MIGHT spread faster than with the Chemo"
might is a big word there, can they give you a more definite answer as to WILL it spread faster and if so, HOW MUCH faster...? like are we talking a difference of a few months with or without the Chemo? And how much could it effect her digestion?
How will it effect her appetite? I would even encourage another oncology opinion with these questions if possible. Can you call this oncologist and speak to him/her directly?

this is huge for Lucy....sending you all my love and some well deserved (((hugs))) too ♥

2193335_tn?1339370806
by Laurent2285, Jun 12, 2012
Thank you for your response. It is a great idea to call the oncologist directly. I will see if I can contact her tomorrow and ask her your very well thought questions. Thank you.

P.S. dinner was very enjoyable and relaxing. :-)
We are very happy of this first step.

874521_tn?1375890587
by opus88, Jun 12, 2012
Laurent I found some excellent sites.....more reading for you, one of them talks alot abt chemo and the side effects and prognosis....hope this helps you come to a decision ((♥))


http://www.oncolink.org/types/article.cfm?c=22&s=69&ss=548&id=5997

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00181.htm

http://www.vspn.org/Library/Misc/VSPN_M02045.htm

1118884_tn?1338596450
by 29sillygirl, Jun 12, 2012
Catching up on Lucy tonight.  So good to hear she is feeling better and that results of surgery were very positive.

This is the tough time.  You'd need a crystal ball to make the 'right' decision.  Please follow up on Opus's advice.
Too many 'mights' , imho, to put your girl through chemo.

Might is not a word to use when prescribing a course of chemo.  I know, as a human who went through 6 weeks of it.
Guaranteed to cause tummy problems...oncologists and I guess vets...are very confident of what they prescribe, and do want to cover any possible recurrance of cancer.  

So...get more facts, please.  Know you want Lucy to enjoy her life, whatever the future holds.  

Her quality of life is key.  Get the oncologist to define digestive difficulties....



Post a Comment