All Journal Entries Journals

mother of the year here....NOT

Mar 07, 2013 - 9 comments

So the girls have an area we have completely baby proofed and gated off.  We have a kitchen/family big room and just sectioned it off.  I can watch them from the kitchen when I am not playing with them.  There is a bathroom off the family room.  I have it shut 99.99999% of the time.  Today they managed to get in there while I was switching out the laundry.  I was gone for a moment.  I came in and the Lysol cling bottle is in the family room.  I usually don't have any cleaners in there but we had company this week and I was cleaning everything.  I panicked.   It is a big bottle from Sams- had to be Abigail since she is walking and likes to carry things place to place.  My heart stopped.  I don't think she drank it- she would have had to tip the bottle upside down and she is not that strong.  Nothing was on her clothes. BUT She does put her mouth on everything.  None on her clothes.  So I called DH he did not think it was anything.  I just decided I better call poison control.  So they had me rinse her hands and mouth- I gave her a bath!  Then we had a snack- I checked her mouth with a flash light!  It was awful.  They just called me back to see how she was.  

Lesson learned.   I feel awful and incompetent.  I am embarrassed but I am telling you so you don't make the same mistake I did.  

Awful day.

Comments
Post a Comment
1571146_tn?1399913292
by Moma_Cher, Mar 07, 2013
Awwwww, it is a rite of passage... don't feel so bad! Thank God she's fine! I had similar thing happen with first born and baby aspirin. It was awful having his stomach pumped not even knowing if it was necessary.

1806883_tn?1407811249
by stacey10, Mar 07, 2013
Definately agree it is a right of passage, and no matter how hard we try and protect them, they will get into or do something that we may think that we could have avoided,  my 20 mth old had a habbit of trying to drink the dishwashing liquid, no matter where I put it he would find it, he has now moved onto cat biscuits!! and I have had to ring up the poisons line as well as he took a swig of our floor cleaner... luckily it was a good for the envirnoment brand so I just had to get him to drink a glass of water,.... so as scary as it may seem dont bash yourself over it, your definately not the worst mother, and are not incompetant as a mum, your human :)

5011074_tn?1362704074
by Debkline10, Mar 07, 2013
It happens and we learn a lesson, don't beat yourself up, thank the big man upstairs she is ok... My oldest is 26 and when she was a baby, I worked at night and the hubby "watched" her.. One night I came home, funny smell in the house, she had spray painted the entire laundry room.. Another night her bedroom was pure white, she got her babypowder out ... What really had me change my schedule was she was sound asleep under the kitchen table, somehow she had gotten ahold of the baby Dimatap.. We took her to the hospital and got her checked out, she was fine but coulda been worse..your not alone in this, a lot of us have been thru this, it's scarey but like I said it teaches us a lesson....Me? I quit my job.. ;)

296076_tn?1371338074
by melimeli, Mar 07, 2013
We have all had to call poison control...  it is a scare but does not make you a bad mom

1351078_tn?1406744282
by retta483, Mar 08, 2013
I've called several times better to be safe . Ive even had to call on myself i accidently  inhaled kaboom cleaner while 9 mos  pregnant  . It happens  I keep all my cleaners up high too but sometimes they are so sneeky ! my son ate purel out of my purse and my 7 yr old at the time ate a air freshener bead out of the bathroom . they are both fine :) sorry you had to experience calling posion control .

1416390_tn?1333905204
by globetrot, Mar 08, 2013
better safe than sorry- i would never let my ego get in the way of needing to know what to do.  I called before when I thought Blakely drank 1/2 a bottle of infant ibuprophen- turns out they could drink the entire thing! As soon as I was off the phone- I stepped in the sticky mess on the carpet and knew she spilled most of it.  Lesson learned- thankful she is safe- still hate myself for being so stupid.

961574_tn?1402509153
by mhv, Mar 08, 2013
Don't be hard on yourself.  I feel down the steps in my walker when I was little, then my dad dropped me on the way carrying me up.  And, I was burned on my leg when I was 18months old when my plastic diaper caught on fire....stuff happens!!! It doesn't mean your a bad mom....it means you live in the real world.



967320_tn?1333203308
by JennaRie, Mar 08, 2013
When I was a baby, my mom was getting me ready to go somewhere - meanwhile, my brother, who was TWO at the time, grabbed my moms car keys, went outside and got in the car, put the keys in the ignition and put the car into neutral, and when the car started rolling down the driveway, he jumped out to push it back up, and it ran over him. Miraculously, he had no broken bones, only bruised, and no lasting injuries from it! Another time he locked himself and me (still a baby) in the car when my mom got out and she had to call a locksmith to get us out because he wouldn't unlock it. My brother was nothing but trouble! Anyway, all that to say, this stuff happens!

1386655_tn?1377032953
by journey2motherhood, Mar 11, 2013
I am sure that happens to everyone.  I'm just starting to learn about what I can keep out and they are just in their walkers.  I can't imagine how it will be when the start walking.  You are a great Mom, are you kidding me? xoxo

Post a Comment