Aa
MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Condom use and hiv infection statistics on insertive vaginal sex

Hi everyone. Thanks to everyone involved in this truly worthwhile cause.
my questions are 3. firstly, what are the statics on hiv transmission via unprotected vaginal sex. ie if say you had sex once with a hiv infected person does it guarantee infection, if you have no prior illness or std?
secondly,just how safe are condoms. if vaginal fluid is the carrier of the virus, isnt there transmission when you hold the base of the penis to remove the condom, especially if you had foreplay and had inserted your fingers etc ? and lastly, i know that the only way to determine if you are infected is to test. however,no one ever addresses the issue that for many, it's a death sentence, especially here in Africa. with poor medical infrastructure and many dependents the possiblity of longevity after contracting the virus is low. social stigma is actually the biggest problem and for many of us,it's easier to just not live.
the reason for the questions is that i travel alot but always have protected sex. i did however on one occasion do it once without , this sent me into a panic. i was drunk etc. but immediately washed up.
after about 4 weeks i got a bad sore throat for about 3 days. The doctor also prescribed flucanazole because of fungus in my throat. this is what caused the panic because i read that its prescribed for aesophegal candida,which is an aids defining illness. i smoke and drink heavily and the doctor said this could be a cause. i have been trying to gather courage to go for the hiv test but so far have only done for syphillis and other stds which came back neg. Thanks

5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Once again i would like to thank the Doctors on this forum. Your efforts help a great deal of people,of all walks of life, all races. I feel that we can never thank you enough.
I garnered enough courage to go for the HIV test last saturday. I am Negative. The tests carried out were two. once was Capillus something....where they used the serum from my blood, and the other was the one where you put a drop of blood and check for some bars or something.My last risky encounter was in july 2004 and although i always use protection, i plan to go for the final test in a couple of months.
You cannot imagine my relief. While i am happy that i am negative, i feel the plight of my brothers and sisters who may not be so lucky. For me the greatest fear was the test itself. maybe i can teach others to overcome this.
However none of this would have happened, hadnt i come to your site and found the encouragement and perspective i needed. Kudo's to all the brave women and men who run this site.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for the very precise response and for this wonderful service that you perform.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
That's for sex in an HIV-discordant couple--i.e., one person has HIV and the other doesn't.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Doctor
Is that 1 in 1000 odds if you have sex with and infected person or just 1 in 1000 odds period??
Thanks
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
On average, it is believed the chance of HIV transmission during a single episode of unprotected vaginas sex is around one in 1000.  But it varies widely depending on sex (more efficient male to female), circumcisison (higher risk for uncircumcised men), stage of HIV infection, presence of other STDs, and other factors.  In parts of Africa, the risk probably is higher on average--because all those factors and others are common.  But probably never higher than one chance in 100.

Condoms are very
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.