Aa
MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Growths on glans.

For the last 10 years I have had a number of small white growths on the base of my glans penis under the foreskin. I went to the doctor and he described them as nothing to worry about and called them hopertrophy of palilea or hirsuit folicularis. I presume these are protruding hair folicles or something like that. They are sensitive and I would like to have them removed or treated as they are usightly. Do you know of any treatments or where I can get further information on the subject.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, what causes it? was started.
Helpful - 2
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It's an electric needle that produces an alternating current of electricity.  Old technology--been around for years.  Minimally invasive.  Ask any dermatologist.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 1
Electrodeccating is not a term I am familiar with, is this the same as electrolysis? How invasive is this procedure? Can the current be applied to the surface of the skin or does it have to applied via a needle?
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The spots you describe are very common and are indeed normal penile anatomy.  Every once in a great while, someone comes to me and asks that I remove them for appearance's sake.  The only way I know of that makes sense is to numb them with lidocaine anesthesia and buzz them with an electric current.  This very minor procedure dries out the bumps so they fall off.  Of course, they may not come off totally or new ones may come leter, so the procedure may need to be redone from time to time.  Any dermatologist has an electrodeccating machine capable of doing this.  You should consult one and ask.  This would be considered cosmetic, not covered by health insurance, but shouldn't be very costly.

But first, ask yourself whether you really want to do something, however minor and safe, if you don't have to.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions