ADD / ADHD Community

ADD/ADHD and Sleep Apnea

My husband back when around the year 1963 was diagnosed with ADHD and was later taken off RITLIN medication in late 1974 early 1975. And then in 2003 was diganosed with Sleep apnea. Now is it possible that because he was taken off the medication during that time and nothing was ever substituted in its place that he would develope much more complicated ADD/ADHD. Because as he is getting older he is getting to wehre he is not attenative to much of anything and does not care to help out with anything.  And occassionally has trouble at work with trying to deal with certain situations. He shows lots of bordom at times and has trouble staying awake while at a resturant, church or any place where there are many people.  We have noticed that salt does play a major factor on the apnea. But I am just wanting to know if the ADD/ADHD can possible come back with a vengence without proper treatment all this time.  He lost his good paying job at Walgreen back in 2006 and I am curious if this could have much to do with him being fired.  Because his attention span was not always the greatest with the Apnea.  Plus in 2007 he tried going back to school and due to having computer trouble he failed the course but there was need too when there are libraries and classrooms available in Devry. Plus I had my computer he could of used at that time but did not want to use.  So is it possible that in this late stage that he never really got over it  and it has just gotten worse over the years without proper medication? You can also respond to ***@****
COMMUNITY LEADER
   Its not that he never really got over it.  Its that he never learned how to deal with it.
By the way, sleep apnea will make ADHD worse (at least in kids), see the following link.
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080407160751.htm
And the sleep apnea would certainly cause him to have trouble staying awake.
Essentially (to me) he is showing many classic ADHD and sleep apnea symptoms.  The fortunate thing is that these can be treated by a good doctor who specializes in these areas.
  I am a bit more concerned with your statement that he,"he is not attenative to much of anything and does not care to help out with anything."  That sounds like depression might be setting in.  According to the book,  "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley, that can be pretty common.  
  I am guessing that he went off Ritlin about the time he went out into the work force.  Back then, they really didn't have much knowledge about adults with ADHD.  Heck, it really wasn't until the late 70's that we began to hear much about it in the public schools.  In fact, I am impressed he was diagnosed way back then!
  Point being, there are a lot of adults now with ADHD and the medical profession is better equipped to deal with them.  Many posters on this site are on an as needed basis with meds, or on a low dose during the time of the day that it is needed.  If you can afford it, I would look for a psychiatrist for help.  
   I have not found a lot of sites with information for adults. But two you might want to check out are:
     http://www.ncpamd.com/ADDComorbidity.htm
and check out their other links on the bottom of the page.
      http://jeffsaddmind.com/for-first-time-visitors
   I hope some of this helps.  I am also afraid that you might have to carry the load so to speak if he is depressed.  That makes it hard to get motivated.  Best Wishes!!