ADD / ADHD Community
Hi, I started this new medicine forADD, and it has helped me so much with my moods and my depression. I have been in a major depression for about 5years. This medicine is adderall, it has changed my life. I havent been depressed in over 7 months. My question is why didn't they dignose me with ADD when they dignose me with bipolar. The way I found out about adderall was by accident, but it has done wonders for me! No I am not cured and I still over react about things and I still gets in arguments with my family, its just not as bad. Its not a all cure pill but every antidepressant just wouldn't work for me.
COMMUNITY LEADER
     You asked," My question is why didn't they dignose me with ADD when they dignose me with bipolar."  In the,  "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley (you might want to buy it),  she says (p. 68), "one of the biggest challenges has been to differentiate children with manic symptoms of bipolar from those with ADHD."   And the problem is that you don't usually want to use a stimulant medication on people with Bipolar.  I don't know how long ago the diagnosis was, but its not easy to do now and was much harder 20 or more years ago.  By the way, Ashley also states that (p53), the most common coexisting disorder is Oppositional Defiant Disorder (about 33%) and 25 to 40% of kids with ODD go on to develop Conduct Disorder.  Depression ... is a common coexisting disorder.  On several of the adult ADD sites, I have noticed a very strong link to ADD and depression.  Especially if the ADD was not caught till adulthood (this is very common in women).  When you were a child, it was difficult to diagnosis ADD (especially if you were intelligent).  If you were a hyper little boy, you got the attention.  A little girl pulling B's and C's didn't get noticed. Personally, I think that is still going on a lot today.
     A wonderful site for adults is http://jeffsaddmind.com/for-first-time-visitors it is written by a person with ADD and has a ton of very useful information.   Another interesting site is totallyadd.com which also has good information in a bit more digestible format since it is all done in short video clips.  Hope this helps!  And of course, the more you learn about ADD (hence the site recommendations), the better chance you have for even greater improvement. Best wishes.