ADD / ADHD Community

Adult AD/HD

Hi, thanks for taking my question, I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child, was on ritalin for about 6 years, my brother took me off of it when I was 14 when he gained custody of me, I guess my question is, is it possible that I still have it?  I feel keyed up most of the time, alot of my problems are anxiety type symptoms such as palpitations, heart doesn't race, it just has those *skipped beats* when I get over excited.  I have become agoraphobic because every time I go out, I feel this surge of adrenaline then I get really skittish feeling then I start to freak even more.  And I still have the symptoms of ADHD, I can't concentrate, I have to have stuff going around me all the time, my mind never shuts off.  I didn't know much about adult adhd I always thought it went away.  I guess I may have learned to control it to an extent.  HELPPP
IrishRoses...

Yes....it is possible for an adult to still have ADHD....there is a lot of research going on right now about what percentage of children still have the symptoms as an adult.  I was diagnosed as a child...did meds off and on through high school, and when I lost insurance after becoming "independent" (relative term there since I was really on my own for quite a while before the govt considered that true)....now at 26 I am back on meds.  One thing that has been very consistent in the material I've been reading is that it is much more common for adults with ADD/ADHD to also have other mental health issues going on at the same time i.e. depression, anxiety.  Yes, those of us with ADD/ADHD do learn some coping mechanisms...but I can tell that at least in my own experience...quality of life is MUCH better when the ADHD is treated.  See your doctor....you won't regret it.  There's also a book that I highly recommend....my doctor gave it to me when I saw him first about my ADHD....its called "Driven to Distraction" by Edward M. Hallowell, MD., and John J. Ratey, M.D.  I'd be happy to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.....good luck!

Sherry