ADD / ADHD Community

Adult adhd

So my doctor said to me the other day that ADHD/ADD is only a childrens disorder and that adults cant have it. I for one highly disagree but was wondering about how others felt regarding Adult  ADD/ADHD. All opinions are welcome but PLEASE be considerate about others thoughts and feelings.
I see so far most people agree with me thank you all for taking the time to participate in this pole it means alot to me. Feel free to share your thoughts on the subject or anything related to it. I am always open to different thoughts and opinions so long as everyone keeps others feelings in mind when doing so.
girl your doc needs to go back to class......my 50 year old next door neighboor is add...its very common..one of my husbands coworkers is too he takes meds for it...I do know ritalin is not for adults its like speed for them..its for kids...
I wonder what your doctor thinks happens to children who have ADD/ADHD.  They like,  magically cure sometime in teen years?

I agree maybe you need to change docs.

I'm sure I have it,  and certainly had it all my childhood.  If I were a child today I might be put on Ritalin to improve focus - although I never had the "hyperactivity",  I can NOT sit through boring stuff.  At 49,  I still can't.

It sounds like you are thinking maybe you have ADD,  frustrated?  To me,  honestly,  it is kind of a gift.  People with ADD are far more creative and inventive than "regular" haha people.  If you can learn strategies to get by,  and don't choose to work in fields that require plodding along at a boring snail's pace,  I think it's a positive thing to have ADD characteristics.

What third world country was your doctor educated in? I have some advice for you - switch doctors. Now! That thinking is extremely antiquated - perhaps your doc is due to retire? Scientifically how would that idea work exactly? It's much more logical to assume that we have different levels of this disorder and some of us are able, for what ever reasons, to learn to control some of the symptoms.
  I do see the creative side of ADHD - it's very evident in my own family but I do want to say that there is an alarming number of people in the prison population who test positive for it - as high as 30%. I have also experienced this side firsthand.
   Best of luck. Either way it's alway good to know what you're dealing with so you can start to develop strategies like RockRose said.
Go for another opinion , you may want to try supplements before taking any meds with side effects, I always recomend that parents who have children with ADD and ADHD try their children on  multiple Vitamin-mineral with anti oxidants, Vit B Complex and Vitamin C also Fish oil has been shown to be good , I read recently that experts have said supplements like these have the same Efficacy as Ritalin. There is also something Homeopathic  called' Attend 'by Vaxa. some have found it to be  very useful.
thank you all for the support you have shown me it means so much to me. and all the helpful ideas
wow. i think your doctor and mine are related lol....

what an idiot. light searching about ADD from credible websites will assure you, it is very much also an adult problem.
I am 23 and I am currently taking Concerta for what I've been told is ADD, even though all tests I've ever taken have had results that show that I most likely do not have ADD. (Those tests where you push a button on the computer when you see certain things, etc.) But I know it is definately something that people of all ages deal with. My mother has taken medications for focusing and paying attention, and she's in her fifties. I see her struggle to focus and stay on task almost daily. She even uses a timer that is always going off to remind herself of things. She'll go around and tell herself, "Focus! Must stay on task!" But don't fear, for all of the attention problems she seems to have, she has two college degrees and two part time jobs.
Was just watching a programme about the brain on TV KOCE and the Doctor was talking about ADD and ADHD and he said that as we reach adulthood we loose the Hyper part most times but still have the ADD and he also said it does have an impact on their lives  that the folks with it were more likely to suffer from substance abuse.He said that try suppelments first but if that doesnt work then try the drugs but one a time Doctors should not put anyone on several and not keep trying everything out there.
i think i have add or adhd.i cant sit still or pay attention.its annoying but i cant help it.and im 15
Hi Go and get some multiple vitamin-mineral supplements,with anti oxidants,Vit B Coomplex and Vit C also Fish oil is useful, these will help you, experts have said many times that this has the same efficacy  as Ritalin a Med prescribed to help hthere is also someting called Attend By Vaxa any health food stiore will carry it, there is help for you, let us know how you are doing,
can you get your parents to take you to a doctor or a specialist you really should get treatment as soon as possible i didnt get help for my ADHD until i was 17 and by then it was hard to unlearn the behaviors i had learned as my way of coping with undiagnosed ADHD