ADD / ADHD Community

DONT PUT YOUR CHILD ON THE ADHD MEDS

I WANT MY STORY KNOWN.  I HAVE A 7 YR OLD THAT WAS TREATED FOR ADHD 2 YRS AGO, NEVER COULD FIND THE RIGHT MEDS, SO OF COURSE THEY KEPT SWITCHING THEM.  IN 2YRS THEY STILL CANT FIND THE RIGHT MEDS. SINCE THE BEGINNING SHE IS NOW BEING TREATED FOR ADHD, ANXIETY, AND ODD.  SHE HAS BEEN ON FOCLAIN,ADDERAL,STRATERRA, RISPERDALE,ZOLOFT,VYVANCE, AND MORE.  IN THE BEGINNING MY DAUGHTER WAS A VERY SWEET LITTLE GIRL SHE WOULD GO THREW HELL OR HIGHWATER TO HELP SOMEONE, SHE WAS JUST ONE OF THOSE LITTLE GIRLS THAT EVERYONE LOVED. THEN WE GET TO THE PAST 2MTHS OF OUR LIVES.  SHE WAS STARTING TO GET VERY MOODY SHE COULDNT PLAY WITH OTHER KIDS CAUSE SHE WAS HATEFUL AND HAD TO BE IN CONTROLL.  THEN OUR LAST VISIT TO THE WONDERFUL DR HE PUTS HER ON 150MG OF ZOLOFT 10 MG RISPERDALE 50MG OF VYVANCE, THEN HELL BEGAN, SHE STARTED HAVING EPISODES OF NONSTOP GIGGLING,THEN THAT LEAD INTO UNCONTROLLABLE CRYING, THEN THE VIOLENT RAGES, SHE LOST CONTROLL  OF HERSELF, SHE BEGGED ME TO GET A GUN AND SHOOT HER CAUSE SHE FELT CRAZY.  WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF GETTING HER OFF THE MEDS, AND IT IS HELL.  MY LITTLE GIRL IS HAVING WITHDRAWLS, SHES HAVING REALLY BAD SWEATS.  IM TELLING YOU PLEASE READ THIS AND KEEP IN MIND THESE DRS DONT KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR KIDS THEY JUST WANT TO DRUG THEM, PLEASE ANYONE OUT THERE CAN DEAL WITH A HYPER CHILD BUT HAVING A CHILD THAT CANT CONTROLL THERE SELF AND PUTS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY IN DANGER IS MUCH HARDER THAN A HYPER CHILD.  IF THE SCHOOLS TELL YOU THAT YOUR CHILD IS ADHD TELL THEM TO STICK IT THEY JUST WANT TO MAKE MONEY OFF OF YOU CHILD BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THEY R DOING.  I WANT TO CRY WHEN I HEAR OF KIDS BEING ON MEDS THERE JUST AS BAD AS STREET DRUGS MAYBE WORSE.  OUR LIVES R NOW ON HOLD WE CANT DO ANYTHING UNTILL WE GET HER RECOVERED.  YOU MAY NOT AGREE WITH ME BUT PLEASE TRUST ME NO ONE DESERVES TO GO THREW THIS . I THANK GOD EVERYDAY THAT I HAVE MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO SUPPORT US.  IS THERE ANYONE ELSE THAT HAS ANY OF THE SAME ISSUES.  PLEASE TALK TO ME.
I have seen so much recently of exactly this there are many posts here where Parents cannot deal with the Problems of child Behavior  and go to have a label put on their child and give them Powerful mind altering Drugs,Thank you for putting this up there it took courage, wean your child slowly from this stuff with a lot of care and attention she will be fine ,at least you have realised what has been happening so it can only get better.A lot of the "problems' parents encounter are from their own lacking  Parenting skills, a lot of the Behaviors can be changed and Managed,it is unfortunate that the schools are allowing Teachers to diagnose ADD and AHD and actually tell the Parents their children should be on Drugs with dreadful side effects .Let us know how she is doing you arre caring enough to see this there are sites out there that will shock you as to the Enormity of this problem going on.
It is highly unlikely that any teacher has "diagnosed" a child with ADD, ADHD, or any other disease with an acronym, because that is unethical and illegal. To suggest that a parent address the child's issues with the family doctor or pediatrician, is not illegal.
You have dragged up an old thread....the date is August 15th 2008 we are now March 2009...
Okay change the word Diagnose to reccomend..... pity thats the only help you gave this parent was to drag up an old thread and  attack me .
I didn't read what TUDA81 said given that it was in all caps, but the post margypops made is very true; teachers are trained to "spot" children with learning disabilities  so the doctors can medicate them.  That's what happened to me in kindergarden.  I'm not saying it's a good or a bad thing really, but I can't operate with out stimulants and find myself inclined to believe that stims are important for me to continue using.  

I disagree that Unethical = Unlikely.  Pointing this out to riczgrl would be easier than feeling attacked or retaliating.  
The best meth for a child with add and adhd is giving that child lots of Love and giving him lots of fruits and Vegitables feeding him white meats instead of junk food. Giving him his own luch for school. If you have the time then you should just home school he/she for a week to see what is wrong with him and then try to see what is the best way that he could learn or she. I feel that in this life time every dr is just trying to put any kid on meds, and if that was the case then way didn't they do that back in the old times. A child has lots of love to give and with patietion you and your child could over come it. These type of children just need more ateintion then then the average child. It is a working  process. children with add and adhd are very smart.
COMMUNITY LEADER
    "I feel that in this life time every dr is just trying to put any kid on meds, and if that was the case then way didn't they do that back in the old times."
      Well, I was teaching back in the 70's and I can tell you that the Doctors then had no clue what ADHD was or how to effectively treat it.  Due to a lot of medical trials and scientific evidence - Doctors today have a much better idea of treatment (just as they do for cancers, etc).  
      I also think that if you go to a Doctor, then you are expecting him to use meds.  They aren't going to give you psychological counseling.  Some will and that costs a ton more money.  And yes, there are Doctors who will take the easy way out by prescribing meds and never see you again.  But then the parents are also taking the easy way out if they allow that to happen.
    I definitely agree with your last statement  that, "These type of children just need more ateintion then then the average child. It is a working  process. children with add and adhd are very smart."  However, I would add that it is a lot more complicated than that.  Not all ADHD kids are the same.  Some need a lot more help and that could include medical attention.
I have a son with ADHD. My problems with him started a few years ago. He was sexually abused by his step grandfather. Who by the way is free and clear.  He used to be a sweet loving child and all of the sudden he turned into this little hellion. I dont even know how to describe him.  Everybody loved him. He was ok at school and awful at home. A year or so went by and he started being bad at school too. He got suspended from school in the 1st grade.  He even got paddlings in the 2nd grade. We finally got him to the dr and they diagnosed him with ADHD put him on meds and he is a completly different child. I dont like giving my kids meds. HOWEVER with him it is necessary.
Yes I agree they are too quick to say yep your kid is ADHD but some of us (i am sure I'm not the only one) have dealt with trying to do it with just couseling and loving them and all of that without meds for a long time. I'm not trying to be hateful or anything just informing others of the situation
I just read your comments on ADHD meds.  My son was put on Zoloft when he was 6 and I had to take him off of it after 6 months.  He had the same issues and I decided to wean him off of this drug on my own.  He is doing good now.  He is 11 and takes only Vyvanse 30 mg.  I am planning on taking him off of the Vyvanse in the summer and trying L-Theasine which is a natural vitamin.  The doctors and teachers did not listen to what we want for our child, so I had to take matters into my own hands.  Meds have caused more problems than actually helping him.  He used to be such an outgoing little boy and now is fearful, shy, backward, and always worried about what people think of him.  Since he has been on the Vyvanse, his personality has definitely been coming back to the outgoing child that I use to know.  

I do not think that doing nothing about ADHD is a good thing but just putting them on meds is wrong.  Meds do not solve the problem.  
COMMUNITY LEADER
   It's hard to believe they would put a 6 year old on Zoloft  (well, ya I can believe it).  Pretty bad misdiagnosis.  Vyvanse is a nice slow acting stimulate which lasts for a long time.  Zoloft is a whole different ball game.  Hopefully, the L-Theasine will work for you.  If it does please write back and let us know.
   Please realize that  your sons behavior of being "fearful, shy, backward, and always worried about what people think of him,"  is one of the problems with ADHD.  Kids in school are judged all the time.  When they have some problems controlling themselves due to the ADHD, and teachers, classmated, etc.  are on them all the time - then the above behaviors can happen.  
I have ADD and so do my 2 daughters who are now 17 & 19 years old, my daughters were not medicated as children, diet palys a huge part in behaviour as well as parenting, my husband and I had to learn different parenting methods and it does work. children with ADD need to be disiplined in a different way.  Children with ADD respond much better to praise, I praised all the good things they did and  it is amazing how a child will respond to praise and recognition.children with ADD can often be very sensitive to criticism and anger.  My daughters were only medicated when they reached college being both 16 years old when they started meds (year 11 and 12 here) this was only because they were having problems at school, on medication my younger daughter wnet from failing to being an A student is advanced maths etc, my oldest used to fall asleep in class and was frustrated because she had so much trouble, on medication she has now started a nursing degree and is doing well because she has also learnt how to work with her ADD with study.  the meds will help you concentrate and focus when you find something boring.  

I believe that there is a place for medication if and only if it is required, I also believe that there are kids out there that do not actually have ADD but are treated for it and to many people medicate for the wrong reasons. ADD meds should not stimulate a person with ADD, I also take my meds to help me sleep.  if you truly have ADD the medication does help, the diference in my life since I started meds has been amazing.  I am amazed at the drugs your daughter is on, it is really a vicius cycle.  I wish you luck when I found out my girls had this I did as much research as I could and made my decisions, do not be afraid to question your Dr, just because they have a white coat does not make them infalible, do your homework and talk to people there are many differing opions out there.

Good Luck
I am not even going to waste my time reading the responses when i see things like "Feed your kid vegetables and white chicken meat" to treat biological brain medical conditions.  For the love of gawed.  Yeah, so if you have diabetes, don't take insulin, just hope for the best and it will be ok@??!??!?!

Anyway, similar things happened to my daughter.  YOUR GIRL SOUNDS LIKE SHE HAS CHILDHOOD BIPOLAR and the doctor has apparently missed this.  FIND A DOCTOR WHO WILL CONSIDER GIVING HER A MOOD STABILIZER SUCH AS DEPAKOTE SPRINKLES ----  very well tolerated and well studied in children for seizures.  It has helped our daughter VERY MUCH and she was also given an antidepressant that made her manic and talk of suicidal stuff at age 5, with giggling and screaming and horror stories galore...and getting off of it was awful but after a month or so on depakote and off of the antidepressant we have a DIFFERENT KID.  
If you need to talk...email me.  I UNDERSTAND.