ADD / ADHD Community

Getting off of ADHD medications

I used to take ADHD medication to manage my condition beginning when I was about 13 years old. I am now 23.

I continued this for about 5 or 6 years, and then gradually came down off of my medications. I had been put on a number of different medications at different times to see which medication worked best for me, and we finally settled on taking Concerta, and did this so for about 3 or 4 years.

In the time I was off of my medications, I developed Major Depression, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, problems with managing stress which lead to PTSD, developed non-bacterial chronic prostatitis from the stress, formed more Obsessive Compulsive behaviors, and a horrible case of Hypochondria.

These emotional problems and mental disorders I have been diagnosed with were never a problem when I was younger, for I never experienced them (aside from Hypochondria, for I used to panic about the way my heart would beat a lot when I was about 8 years old, even though my heartbeat was normal).

These emotional problems and mental disorders listed above developed real slowly after I graduated from high school and stopped taking my ADHD meds "safely", and I thought it was just part of the anxiety with growing up, but I have come to find out from a therapist that this is definitely not the case.

I have recently been put back on Concerta so I can go back to college and concentrate better. I've noticed in the past few days I have been able to manage my emotional stress better, and I have been less anti-social issues.

Could the fact that I was no longer managing my ADHD with medication have a factor in me developing these disorders?
COMMUNITY LEADER
  All of the research I have done and personal posts I have seen on this forum would indicate that it was certainly a contributing factor.  
  Unfortunately, many parents would see the pill as the solution.  However, all studies I have seen, show that some type of behavior modification training is also needed.  Its not your parents fault.  And it would be very typical if they only used a family doctor, not a psychiatrist.  
  I don't know if it will help, but there is an adult web site devoted to ADD where a lot of good information is shared.  You might want to check it out.  Its called  
      http://jeffsaddmind.com/for-first-time-visitors

You also might want to check out this site which was a recent pbs special on adult ADD.
          http://**********.com/#/welcome/
    Best wishes!
COMMUNITY LEADER
   By the way, check out the posts by Capita 2010 and Stubborn fight.  Do post back and let us know how it is going.  The three of you are in kind of similar situations!
COMMUNITY LEADER
the blocked site is **********.com  its worth looking at.
I saw the site link before it was blocked, but I come here to the forums for help, not to be directed to external websites that I have never heard of.
COMMUNITY LEADER
   The reason I recommended the sites is that I wanted you to see that what you are going through is not that unusual for adults with ADD.  There is no way that I could relay some of the personal stories on those sites or the advice given by adults who do use the meds on a regular basis.   I also have a feeling that if you had more information about ADD, you would realize what it can do to adults if left untreated.
   And I also would like to say that just taking meds (while helpful), is only dealing with part of the problem.  The more you understand yourself and ADD, the greater chance you will have of dealing with it.  Best Wishes!

I don't get it