ADD / ADHD Community

How long before seeing meds work for ADD/ADHD?

My daughter just started taking meds for her ADD/ADHD about 3 weeks ago.  The Dr. told us not to give her the meds on weekends and when she is not in school.  I haven't seen any change, but when she gets home from school, she acts like she ate a whole bag of sugar on the way home.  The teacher hasn't said if she see's any changes, but she hasn't been in trouble so I guess it is better.  Should she be so hyped-up after school?
The meds, unfortunately, are working. You said she is hyper when she gets home from school. This is the nasty side effect of what you are giving her. The meds for ADD are similar to speed. Do you really want your kid on speed? Academic success is only one narrow aspect of a child's totality. No way would I give a child of mine this dangerous junk.
COMMUNITY LEADER
   Allmymarbles is correct, the meds (most are, some are not) are similar to speed.  They work because a person with ADHD has an opposite reaction to the medication.  It slows them down and allows concentration.  
   Either the dosage is not high enough to affect your daughter, or she does not have ADHD and she is reacting to the medication like a normal person would. It is also possible that medication is wearing off by the time she gets home.  Either way it is very important to communicate with your doctor.
Have you read the side effects of these medicines that they put our children on and we let them? Can you tell us who's idea was it for her to go get looked at for adhd and put  her on medicine.

some of these children really don't need to be on medicines and the doctors need to look at everything that is going on in a child's life before they drug them up with the risk to do more damage. You should read other post and see what other parents like myself have gone threw with our children being on medicines and how it made things worse for our child.

there are other things beside add or adhd that a child could have that look like it.

I waited over a year after I was told she had ADD/ADHD before I put her on any medicine!  She is repeating Kindergarden possible because I waited so long!  I think that it is wearing off by the time she gets home.  I debated long and hard over it, but I had to do something to help her focus at school.  Her teacher tells me that she is doing alot better in school.  Focusing more and not getting into trouble.  I could put her on more or something else to help after school, like for homework or what not.  But I am not going to do that.  The last thing that I wanted was to put her meds.  But I had to do something to help her!
COMMUNITY LEADER
  Glad to hear it is working out for you and her.  Because she is still in Kindergarten, homework should not be an issue yet.  When it is, then it is time to talk to a doctor.
  In the meantime here is some homework for you.    Just saw this post, these books might be worth checking out.  I haven't read them yet, but I am certainly going to look into them.

Dulcet1pms, Oct 07, 2009 03:33AM
Hi- I also have a son with ADhD and is Bi-polar as well.  THe one best thing I did for him was buy, read and implement the techniques in 2 books.  The first was, "How to reach and teach ADD ADhD kids."  The second was, "The ADD/ ADhD Answer book."  Both of those books are filled with things that help our kind of children

There is a lot you can do to help her.  Getting the information to do so is vital.
Good Luck!!
Maybe your daughter is getting better because she is getting older. Before doctors prescribe this garbage they should give the child the chance to settle down, which 99 per cent of them do without anybody's help. Anyway, I don't much care about the teacher and her desire for a class of obedient robots. I care about the child.
Amen ,I agree with you allmymarbles.

I would hate for another child and family to go threw what my family has because of these drugs and the side effects.Not only do you have a hipper child but other medical problems to and a lot of medicines and hospital stays, blood work ,mom who worry's every day .trips to the doctors twice a month if not more.A child who needs to be home school because he cant handle going to school.

If I where to ever see the teacher who thou my child needed these drugs and made me feel like if we didn't we where bad parents .I would let her have it.

wish I could take back time or change places with my son.
Oh My God, people!!!!
The ADHD medicine is wearing off. If you all have children that take the medicine, you would know that majority of parents struggle with this "coming off" the medicine after school. You can play around with dosages, try to change the medicine. Also, I noticed with my son, that if I don't quit giving him medicine during weekend, he seems better. I talked to parents who actually give children a Coca -Cola, and it helps (go figure). Some children become really depressed for about 2-3 hours; so they even put them on a low doze of Zoloft right after school. Another words, there are options, and it is normal for this to happen.
COMMUNITY LEADER
interesting, I always wondered if coffee would help, since caffeine is a stimulant.  Coke certainly has the caffeine, so that may be why it helps.  Hopefully, it is diet coke.
My son was diagnosed with ADHD, ODD and a mixed receptive speech delay at the age of 3 almost 4.  His doctor put him on Dextromine and it has done wonders for him.  Because of the medication he started talking almost over night and he was able to slow down enough to communicate with everyone.  His main issue was communication.  He was unable to communicate his needs to people so he would throw tantrums instead.  The medication not only helped his speech but also helped improve his behavior.  I understand what why people would say the things about the meds they put kids on and I felt the same way.  ADHD and ADD runs in my family and I know what Ritalin did to my brother and I didn’t want that to happen to my son.  After almost a year of getting kicked out of every daycare imaginable I was facing having to get out of the Army which I could not afford at the time.  Once they put him the meds it was like a miracle.  Also, ask your doctor to place her on a time release pill.  That is what my son is on.  He only has to take it once a day and it pretty much lasts all day. We had to change to that type of med when he started school.  It was a lot easier then having the school administer meds in the middle of the day.
Thanks!  She is on a time release med now.  You helped...alot of others have just trashed me for putting her on the meds!  I struggled with it for a year not wanting to do it but finally I just couldn't take it anymore.  I am going to try giving it to her on the weekends too and see if that helps.  Thanks.
COMMUNITY LEADER
If it worked during the week, it will also work during the weekend.  Use that time to socialize with her and touch up some of those little skills she might have missed due to her ADHD in her earlier years.  Also please remember, that the meds by themselves are not the whole answer.  What they will allow you to now do is to help her achieve her full potential.  So keep reading up on ADHD.  Do check into special education (if you haven't already done so), it will help her in the upper grades.  Because you have caught this early enough, she probably hasn't missed out on school stuff that would put her behind.  But as she gets older, balancing the time that meds wear off and homework must be finished can get tricky.  So do keep in touch with your doctor and of course your teachers.    
Best Wishes.