ADD / ADHD Community

Motor tics and ADHD?

My daughter is 4 ½ years old now. She had a slight speech delay and was a “grunter.” She didn’t talk much until she was almost 3 and not fully potty trained until almost 4. She has always been one of those children you cannot take your eyes away from; I am in constant fear that she is going to do something that will harm her. She doesn’t do these things intentionally or to be bad, she is very loving, loves to cuddle, and is always apologizing for her actions later without my even mentioning it.  I do not doubt she has the signs and symptoms of ADHD due to her EXTREME hyperactivity. She also has a very nasal voice that family members have pointed out to me (of course I know, I am just used to it.)  There is a family history or Tourrets.  She had a phase of eye blinking tics when she was 2, and very short spurts of other tics such as shoulder rotation and jaw clicking. Now she has one that cannot be ignored, she is opening and closing her hand constantly, or “hand wringing” and tells me it’s because her hand hurts. This has been going on for about three weeks, and I try the “ignore it” method but it’s too concerning, especially when it’s combined with another new one of making a mouth noise, the same as if you were trying to suck in the spit when you have a sucker in your mouth. She even put her hand in between mine and said “Make it stop, I can’t stop.” I plan to make her an appointment next week. (They aren’t making appointments at this time due to a new scheduling system.) I started her in gymnastics a month ago, she goes once a week, and I was wondering if being around other girls her age (which is something she isn’t used to) might be stressing her out because she does act different than them. She is the one the instructor is always yelling “Alanna! Are we supposed to be doing that?” or “Alanna! Are we supposed to be over there?” and the other girls are well behaved. Maybe I’m reaching for explanations but I am just increasingly worried about her. I’m scared to find out that there is something wrong, but I don’t want to deny her any help either.  Are there other mothers out there with a similar experience? Would you say she is more likely to have ADHD with motor tics, or something on the autism spectrum, or touretts? Her brother has been diagnosed with ADHD and is on medication, which have now caused him to develop eye blinking and mouth opening tics (10 mg. of Metadate). I just feel awful and self-blaming, any advice or input will be appreciated. I realize I don't have just one general question...

-Just a couple other tidbits of information:  She knows her ABCs but says them out of order, same with counting anything above 10. She can recognize them but not draw most of them. She loves to sit and listen to me read. She enjoys coloring. She is always telling me she loves me and giving me kisses on the cheek without my initiating it, or that I am “beautiful like a butterfly” she can be so sweet. She is also far too aggressive with pets. She has also been raised around nothing but boys. All of her cousins and her brother have influenced her a lot. I cannot afford preschool and do not qualify for any help with it.-
It would appear that she has a neurological problem and a learning disability, not ADD. As for the teacher who yells at her, you might take her aside and explain your daughter's disabilities so that she lowers her expectations and shows more kindness. My youngest daughter had been a semi-invalid and was recovering. She changed schools and her history was not known. Her gym teacher was very displeased with her and considered her lazy. So I took the teacher aside and told her of my daughter's problems. All went well after that.
COMMUNITY LEADER
    This is something that you are going to need professional help with.   With ADHD in the family, its always a possibility along with other disorders.   I believe that in many if not all states its possible to get your child evaluated as early as 3.  Check with your local school district about this.
    Another thing to check out is your comment about a nasal voice.  I would check that out.  Its possible that she has swollen adenoids which could really affect her sleep.  If that is true, it will cause ADHD like actions during the day due to loss of sleep at night.
    By the way, its possible that she might have fallen and hurt her wrist which can cause hand problems.  See if she can grasp and squeeze your hand with force.  If there is a difference between the two hands, there is certainly something wrong.  Then have her hook a finger over one of your fingers and squeeze.  repeat for all fingers.  this will help give you more information.  Of course, only a doctor can really help with this if it continues.  Hope some of this helps.  I can also recommend a lot of resources on AD/HD if you have an interest.
    And do follow allmymarbles advice and clue in her teacher!