ADD / ADHD Community

My 5 year old

My son has not been officially dignosed.  We met with his kindergarten teacher yesterday (she has been teaching K for 20 years) and says that my son will not stay on task.  He is different than the other children in the fact that he can not complete his work even if he is moved by himself.  I am going to get him evaluated but upon reading all the side effects of ADHD meds....(sudden death being one) I will not medicate him.  Does anyone have any alternative therapies that have been successful...
www.rxlist.com  
is a great tool.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Be very thankful that you have an experienced teacher who has spent 20 years working with kids.  She should have some ideas of ways to work with your son that should be very helpful.  If you had a brand new teacher, the year could be a disaster.  As a teacher and principal who has spent 37 years working with kids, I can tell you that what you want is not alternative therapies.  What you need is behavior modification techniques that will help your son overcome his ADHD (if that is what he has).  You also need to do a lot of reading up on ADHD and the ways to treat it.  "Sudden death", is bunk.  There are good reasons not to treat, but that one comes from no credible source.  You definitely need to think about getting your son tested by a very good psychologist (you don't want to do this alone).  It is very possible that if your son has ADHD he can (with a lot of your help) do ok in school for the next 3 to 4 years.  But if he really has it, by about 4th grade you will need to reevaluate your nonmedication stance.   And by the way become an expert in this field, not a bystander.  Until then, Pick up this book, by Thomas Armstrong, Ph.D.; The Myth of the A.D.D. Child 305 pages. Subtitle: 50 Ways to Improve Your Child's Behavior and Attention Span Without Drugs, Labels, or Coercion.  I really disagree with a lot of the first part, but the 50 ways to work with your child are very good!