ADD / ADHD Community

Oh My God!!!

Is it possible the Concerta has worked in 1 day?

I went to pick up Richard (1st grade) form school this afternoon,he comes out screaming "Mommy the pill worked!!!"

I explained to him this morning that it was simply to help him concentrate and focus.He decided to call it the smart pill (all on his own...lol)

He begged me all the way home to look at his agenda,great things written mommy!

I finally get home and I swear i don't even recognize him,he's eager for homework,wants to tell me about his day,of course wants me to look at his agenda for the day.

His agenda says that He talked about his weekend and explained in details a movie he saw,something he never did before.

Payed attention during math class,helped a student with his math homework,wrote 2 sentences on his own,looked up a word in the dictionnary,asked for help when he needed it(also something he never did).So much more different notes then I am used to.I was amazed!

He told me tonight not to forget to give him his smart pill tomorrow.He told me it made things clearer in his head.I'm so excited for him on on the verge of tears...good ones for a change....WOOHOO!!!!

WHOOP WHOOP
Chantal
That is fantastic!  SO happy for you both.  It has to be a big relief.
That is awesome awesome awesome. My son -- also 1st grade-- is in the evaluation process right now(while I am pretty convinced of his diagnosis, as is his teacher.) I am hopeful that we can find a treatment plan that will work for him like it seems to have worked for your son. My pediatrician, and the psychologist have advised me that proper medication makes all the difference. Congratulations.
My son had the same experience the first day he started taking concerta last month, (He's 9 yrs. old) But that was short lived for us, the side effects were too much for him, insomia, stomach aches, and headaches, I took him off of it after 3 wks. Hopefully your child will not have the same issues,  
Glad you feel good. There is still every reason to still worry about this situation. I worried immediately when you said he was screaming about how a pill worked. Was he really screamming? YIKES, this is scary.

1. Your son believes he is not fully capable of success without the "smart pill". He is a very young student. Does this mean a lifetime of medication? I urge you to consider a new approach.

2. Maybe the teacher believes that your son should be medicated and her past observations about him were biased.

3. Consider other ways to help your son  improve focus and attention:
a. Volunteer at school and find out what is really going on in the classroom. How many kids are in the class? Is the teacher overwhelmed? Does she like kids? Does she like boys? Is the teacher consistent in keeping the kids in line? Is she skillful with kids of that age? Does she have age-appropriate expectations? Is she boring? What percent of the class is labled for Title One? What percent of the Title One students are boys?

Be aware that schools receive more money when they identify more kids as needing the Title One help. The schools are rewarded with money when they tag kids with ADHD.

b. Take notes about specific academic challenges and think of ways to address the challenges. You mentioned that the drug helped him with these tasks:
Paid attention during math class,
Helped a student with his math homework,
Wrote 2 sentences on his own,looked up a word in the dictionnary,
asked for help when he needed it(also something he never did).

Look into whether your son has an undetected vision problem. Were you aware that kids are labled with ADHD when in fact they sometimes have vision issues? The symptoms are almost identical.
We found this site and it changed everything:
http://www.pavevision.org/
I urge you to visit it.
ANY person who experiences ANY academic issues should be tested for vision problems. We think it is disgraceful teachers never know anything about this.
No matter your age…If you haven’t done this already, please secure an appointment with a specialist optometrist for a comprehensive vision exam as soon as you can. It only takes 45 minutes, is covered by most insurance, and is not painful or humiliating in any way. You never know! Some people who have vision disorders can see the eye charts perfectly and do not need glasses. They usually have problems associated with the eye muscles and they can correct the problems with vision therapy.
Please , Please, PLEASE…visit this site to see a simulation of various vision disabilities:
http://www.childrensvision.com/

4. Please be aware that some doctors have worries about this medication  
Read here:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/02/fda_adhd.html  
and here
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01568.html

FDA Wants Stronger Warnings on ADHD Drugs  February 22, 2007

FDA News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
P07-26
February 21, 2007
Media Inquiries:
Sandy Walsh, 301-827-6242
Consumer Inquiries:
888-INFO-FDA

FDA Directs ADHD Drug Manufacturers to Notify Patients about Cardiovascular Adverse Events and Psychiatric Adverse Events
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today directed the manufacturers of all drug products approved for the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) to develop Patient Medication Guides to alert patients to possible cardiovascular risks and risks of adverse psychiatric symptoms associated with the medicines, and to advise them of precautions that can be taken.

"Medicines approved for the treatment of ADHD have real benefits for many patients but they may have serious risks as well," said Steven Galson, M.D., MPH, Director, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER). "In our ongoing commitment to strengthen drug safety, FDA is working closely with manufacturers of all ADHD medicines to include important information in the product labeling and in developing new Patient Medication Guides to better inform doctors and patients about these concerns."

Patient Medication Guides are handouts given to patients, families and caregivers when a medicine is dispensed. The guides contain FDA-approved patient information that could help prevent serious adverse events. Patients being treated with ADHD products should read the information before taking the medication and talk to their doctors if they have any questions or concerns.

ADHD is a condition that affects approximately 3 percent to 7 percent of school-aged children and approximately 4 percent of adults. The three main symptoms are inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity. People with ADHD may have difficulty in school, troubled relationships with family and peers, and low self-esteem.

An FDA review of reports of serious cardiovascular adverse events in patients taking usual doses of ADHD products revealed reports of sudden death in patients with underlying serious heart problems or defects, and reports of stroke and heart attack in adults with certain risk factors.

Another FDA review of ADHD medicines revealed a slight increased risk (about 1 per 1,000) for drug-related psychiatric adverse events, such as hearing voices, becoming suspicious for no reason, or becoming manic, even in patients who did not have previous psychiatric problems.

FDA recommends that children, adolescents, or adults who are being considered for treatment with ADHD drug products work with their physician or other health care professional to develop a treatment plan that includes a careful health history and evaluation of current status, particularly for cardiovascular and psychiatric problems (including assessment for a family history of such problems).

As part of the Agency’s ongoing regulatory activity, in May 2006 the FDA directed manufacturers of these products to revise product labeling for doctors to reflect concerns about adverse cardiovascular and psychiatric events. These changes were based on recommendations from the FDA Pediatric Advisory Committee and the Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee. To help patients understand these risks, an additional part of this revised labeling process is the creation of a Patient Medication Guide for each individual product.

The medicines that are the focus of the revised labeling and new Patient Medication Guides include the following 15 products:

Adderall (mixed salts of a single entity amphetamine product) Tablets
Adderall XR (mixed salts of a single entity amphetamine product) Extended-Release Capsules
Concerta (methylphenidate hydrochloride) Extended-Release Tablets
Daytrana (methylphenidate) Transdermal System
Desoxyn (methamphetamine HCl) Tablets
Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine sulfate) Spansule Capsules and Tablets
Focalin (dexmethylphenidate hydrochloride) Tablets
Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate hydrochloride) Extended-Release Capsules
Metadate CD (methylphenidate hydrochloride) Extended-Release Capsules
Methylin (methylphenidate hydrochloride) Oral Solution
Methylin (methylphenidate hydrochloride) Chewable Tablets
Ritalin (methylphenidate hydrochloride) Tablets
Ritalin SR (methylphenidate hydrochloride) Sustained-Release Tablets
Ritalin LA (methylphenidate hydrochloride) Extended-Release Capsules
Strattera (atomoxetine HCl) Capsules
The draft Patient Medication Guides for each product can be found at http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/ADHD/default.htm. For more information please visit www.fda.gov.

5. Please be aware that there are thousands of people whose children had poor outcomes from taking ADHD medications. Please visit here: http://www.ablechild.org/