A
A
A
Close
ADD / ADHD Community
3.38k Members

Possibly ADD

Hello everyone,

I am am currently undergoing diagnostic testing and I am wondering if I should ask if the psychiatrist should also check for ADD, or ADHD even. I'll tell you a why in a bit. At the moment I have done some tests that suggest that I have Asperger's, but the clinical psychologist advised that I should consult a psychiatrist for further evaluation. Not only for Asperger's (because the psychologist was pretty sure on that one), but also because it was suspected that I may have a learning disability. I am not sure if ADD is classified a learning disability, but I really want to do some tests for it because of what follow below:

At the moment I'm in my last year of Applied Linguistics, which revolves around translation. My professors noticed something peculiar that I of course already was aware of: my translations are full of typos if I don't turn spell/grammar checker on. I know all spelling and grammar rules that I need to know, I am just not aware that I am misspelling or leaving out things. Even when I re-read my translation aftrwards, I usually do this 3-4 times, I don't notice that misspelled words until someone points them out for me.

The type of "mistake"s that I make and don't notice despite knowing the spelling/grammar rules are:
-Leaving out letters
-Switching letters in a word
-Leaving out a word
-Typing the same word twice
-Typing the wrong word because I'm already thinking ahead (of what follows)
-I sometimes type an "s" to make words plural even though I didn't intend to make the word plural

As someone who is supposed to translate, not noticing this kind of typos is absolutely not acceptable.

Other reasons why I think I might have ADD are the following:

-I need to go to a library to study. If I try at home, I need a lot more time and will not do well on the finals. I also have trouble with getting myself to start studying.

-When professors are adressing the entire group of people, I usually get distracted within 20-30 seconds even though I had the intention to pay attention. My friends have gotten angry at me already because I needed to ask what the professsor had said.

-I'm terrible at remembering names. If I meet someone new and we have a one-on-one conversation, I will most likely immediately forget that person's name.

-When reading an article that I like, I often read without remembering. By that I mean, I have read a couple of lines, and then I suddenly realise that I need to re-read those lines because I can't remember what was said. Also, and I find this peculiar, I have little patience with reading altogether: Even when there's an article that I'm extremely interested in and really want to read, I usually feel like I get "bored" after just a couple of line, despite that I am actually really interested in the subject.

I can't think of anything else, bt feel free to ask me some questions to determine if I may or may not have ADD. also, based on what's been said so far, is this in indication that I should probably request to be tested for ADD?

Thanks in advance,

~

1 Responses
189897 tn?1441130118
COMMUNITY LEADER

Well, it certainly can't hurt to request to be tested, and it just might help you a lot.  You do have many of the symptoms.
      I have included two links below that you may find very helpful.  Please let me know if you need any more info.
       http://jeffsaddmind.com/for-first-time-visitors
       http://www.help4adhd.org/en/treatment/guides/WWK9
Have an Answer?
Top Children's Development Answerers
189897 tn?1441130118
San Pedro, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?