ADD / ADHD Community

adhd 3 year old

what do you think my son id feeling since he has adhd n he is three years old
I agree with Sandman2. My son displayed full blown symptoms at 3, 4, 5, and 6 but I would not allow any medications and handled it through diet, relaxation techniques, and a very structured schedule with consistancy, consistancy, and more consistancy. When he was 4 1/2 yrs old, I took him in for a consultation at the request of his pediatrician. I was instructed my the doctor to allow my son to roam freely throughout the room so that he could observe what he actually was doing. The psychiatrist told me there is no formal method of testing him but he had his own preliminary test--he told me to watch this--he quietly walked over and turn on a DVD and started playing a cartoon. Prior to him turning on the cartoon, my son had managed to rearrange, turn over, pile up and/or toss everything in the room to where it looked like a tornado had hit(total disaster and ground zero). The doctor and I watched this little Taz stop almost instantly and focus in on the cartoon.  The doctor told me the reason he stopped is because he's using that part of his brain that he can't access normally. And he reccommended I bring him back in a year after he had started kindergarten. In the meanwhile educate yourself on diet, form a strict schedule for daily routines and behavior modification system and stick to it relentlessly.  I'm not saying this was the best method but it worked until the latter part of kindergarten.  That's when the education system told me we are going to hold him back because he can't read, can't finish ONE task, can't sit in his chair, can't write his name (print), can stay within the lines when he colors, and the list went on, and on, and on. And my favorite complaint--we can't keep him from climbing up to the ceiling-be it the corner of a classroom, columns in the cafeteria and/or the doorways!
My only question was, what are you talking about? He is reading 3rd and 4th grade books, writing in script and is way beyond printing the alphabet. He paints using watercolor and when using crayons stays within the limits of the bold lines on the characters. He's building electromagnetics and structures way beyond his tender years. He has a marvelous imagination and comes up with the great stories and writes them down in his book. He does test the waters on behavior but he knows there are consequences for unexceptable behavior. And trust me on this one, a timeout was much more effective with him than any other method.
The biggest difference is the environment in which he was learning--the teacher doesn't have the time or the manpower to work with children who learn differently than what is outside the box. Although we are a "no child left behind" state.  I'm not an advocate of special education and the "content mastery" room.  I had too many students who learned that was a way out of class and class work--not to even speak of the fact these students only do 1/4 to 1/2 the amount of work and teachers are EXPECTED to give the passing grades because they are special--they end up with high GPAs than some regular students who are giving it an honest effort and attending tutorials to improve themselves. I won't allow my son to be protected by the system because it will not teach him anything but how to be lazy and use his ADHA as an excuse.  Believe me, he has been trying to use it since the beginning of the second grade! I do speak with authority on this, I'm an ex-teacher! I taught a min. of 8 special needs students mainstreamed into my technology classes ranging between 26-28 students total (engineering graphics, technology education, multimedia and animation, and A+).  I was exhausted my the end of every class period. I have since returned to engineering so that I can better assist my own child in his educational goals.
By the way, he's a 5th grade honor student, reads 200 words a minute, loves math and science. He is struggling when it comes to peer relationships and social skills. That's what we are working on now.
I agree with the previous post, I don't know that a doctor would diagnose it at that early of an age. And I also agree that he should have a very structured schedule and the ADHD diet. This should help control it until he is at least school aged. I do understand though. My twin boys should ADHD signs from the time they were about 2 or 3 also, but the doctor and I didn't have it diagnosed or treated with medicine until they went to school and the teachers notice a big problem there as well. I think in order to be diagnosed the issues have to be in two or three different areas of the child's life. Such as home, school, public places, ect. I know it is frustrating and exhausting, but try to hang in there until he is kindergarten aged, then you should have no problem getting him tested. Best of luck!
Okay first of all you can have a child diagnosed that young but it's hard.  You need to make sure that he's tested by a reputable doctor.  My oldest son was diagnosed at 3 rechecked at 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 and all have come back that he has ADHD.  My son was medicated at 3 and started calling his ritilin his "happy pill" I asked why he said that his response was because now I can do the things that I like to do like my puzzles!!  So talk to your child about it.