Aa
A
A
A
Close
ADD / ADHD Community
3.37k Members

adult add and depression

I am a 26 year old mother of two boys. I have battled depression since I was a teen and recently was told I have adult add. I find myself not really wanting to ever go any where or do anything and I am very irritable. I feel like a horrible mother and like I am not doing what other mothers whom seem to have it all do. I love my kids very much. I find myself constantly wondering what if this happens what if that happens. I seem to worry about everything actually. Money, bills, house work I need to get done. I feel like Im doing 50 things at once. My question is; is it normal for a mother to not feel good enough for her children? If so how do you get over it? Does this or could this have to do with my depression or add and are they the same thing?
1 Responses
1129813 tn?1260081694
You sound just like my mum :). She has ADHD, depression, bi-polar type 2, among other things. Despite all of that, she is an EXCELLENT mother. In her worst states she has asked me if she is a good enough enough mother, and I have never hesitated to say yes. I think that being a good mother that cares too much is MUCH better than having a bad mother that doesn't care! Downside is, my brother and I have inherited most of her problems.

I think the main thing you need to do is get treatment. If you aren't on medications yet, get on them. I know the media and certain communities say drugs are bad, among other things, but if you really do have an illness, you need them. I know they worked wonders in my family.

The bonus with dealing with your illness now is that if your children start having symptoms (I was in my teens, my brother was in primary school when we started presenting if you're interested) you'll be more informed on how to help them. I saw my whole family go through psychiatrists and medications before I did, so I wasn't concerned or scared at all.
Have an Answer?
Top Children's Development Answerers
189897 tn?1441130118
San Pedro, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?