ADD / ADHD Community

help. teachers role in adhd

I need help with diagnosis of adhd. 2 out of 3 of my children have been being treated for adhd for 2 years now. my 3rd child has been showing signs of adhd more so then my other children at the time their signs started to appear.

he sees the same dr so he knows the history and the troubles of my other children. after knowledge of adhd being hereditary in many cases, my problem has been diagnosing and starting medication.
after many packets and pages of questionnaires, he scores well above the qualifying standards.
the problem starts with the role of his teacher. her scores are just below qualifying standards.
he won't diagnose or treat without the teachers scores. says he can't go on parents and family opinions.  he says the teacher scores are the ones that  have say. and even if we disagree he won't.
this made me livid to say the least.

is this true?  can he do this? how in this world can a teacher, whom only sees him 5 hours out of the day, have more say and input regarding in my sons medical treatment?
has the parents no rights in the matter?

please please help me. thanks so much.
COMMUNITY LEADER
    Actually, he is following the guidelines which he must follow.  I would rather have a doc like that then one who just dispenses pills cause its the easiest way to go.  The guidelines are here - http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/751596?src=nl_topic
    And, you can click on a link in that article to see the full text.

You didn't say how old your youngest son was or what grade he was in.  If he is an intelligent kid, he may be getting by on that and so the teacher may be missing the clues.  Perhaps take a look at this link to ADD and see if that fits him any better.  http://www.help4adhd.org/about/what/WWK8
Many times you have to educate the teacher as to the symptoms.  Those questionaires can be tricky to fill out.  And, of course, there is always next years teacher or the school psychologist.
    Anyway, if you haven't yet done so, I suggest you get the book -  "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley.  You will find lots of ways that both you and the schools can help your children.  Please post if you need any more info.  Best wishes.