ADD / ADHD Community

sociopathic behavior and adhd

My mother says that my father is a sociopath and I believe me and my sibling have add.  Is there a connection?
Thanks,
Vic
COMMUNITY LEADER
  Oh wow,  very interesting question!   According to Wikipedia, the
"Characteristics of people with antisocial personality disorder may include:[2]
    * Persistent lying or stealing
    * Apparent lack of remorse[3] or empathy for others
    * Cruelty to animals[4]
    * Poor behavioral controls — expressions of irritability, annoyance, impatience, threats, aggression, and verbal abuse; inadequate control of anger and temper
    * A history of childhood conduct disorder
    * Recurring difficulties with the law
    * Tendency to violate the boundaries and rights of others
    * Substance abuse
    * Aggressive, often violent behavior; prone to getting involved in fights
    * Inability to tolerate boredom
    * Disregard for safety"
Many,many of these characteristics are not unusual for someone with ADHD who has had no help or behavioral training to exhibit.  Having said that, after a fairly quick search of sociopathic behavior websites - I really couldn't find any links to ADHD being the initial cause.  Kind of puzzles me since these are pretty common tendencies among adults with ADHD who have not had any help.
     Anyway to answer your question.  ADHD/ADD is hereditary.  So there is a possible connection.  However the key is Knowledge.  Knowing what you got and how to deal with it - changes everything.  Your dad easily could have gone through school at a time when there was little help - or had parents that didn't believe in things like ADHD.
     If you do have concerns, I highly recommend that you buy, "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley.   Its cheap and easy to read.  Some famous old person (not me)  once said, "know thyself".  This book will help.  Please post if you have any more questions.