ADD / ADHD Community

why do people say its bad to be on both addrall and xaanx

I have talked to several pharmists and they say they have heard of this combination....my dr has been in practice for 30 years........i have even read online where others take adderalll and xanax and a antidepressant........but other people tell me its dangerous   are any of you on here on a benzo and adderall..u know maybe ativan or klonopin
COMMUNITY LEADER
You really need to be on the website that deals with anxiety and depression.  This site really deals with ADHD and there is always the ongoing debate of medication or not for ADHD.  Nobody has the experience to tell you how to deal with anxiety and depression.  I have seen the combination you have mentioned in literature so I know its not unusual.  But that's about all I can tell you.  I would trust your doctor.  And I would check out some of the other sites on MedHelp that deal with your particular case.  Best Wishes!
Good question, but I know one is a stimulant and the other is tranquilizer, so while one brings you up, the other brings you down.  Quite opposites.
The reason is because adderall is just like speed.And adderall can cause anxiety and stress.Along with other very bad side effects. If you have stress and anxiety already you shouldn't be taken something that can cause you to have even more of it along with other side effects that have cause sudden death and heart problems and even stroke and seizures. and seizures can be brough on by stress and anxiety.

the doctors should try you on things like ,zoloft or celexa and there are many other drug you can try.

I have know idea why he has you on something for adhd or add.those drugs are not good for you.

and yes all drugs have bad side effects,but why would any one take or give drugs out to anyone when people have had very bad side effects. I would rather live with the other things then take drugs for something that won't kill you.
An upper and a downer. Very Hollywood. Both are addictive and the latter particularly so. It is not meant for long-term use. Xanax is outlawed in the UK. Being a doctor for 30 years does not make you a genius.
xanax is very addictive as are all benzodiazepines.
i have been on benzos 20 years...........today is my 16th day of adderall i have no added energy as dr said.......it raises my heartrate.......dr said to take a whole 30 mgthis  morning instead of 15 mg.........yesterday after my 4 oo 15 mg dose i got tired and this morning my tounge hurts..iknow i have been biting my lip but i didnt think i bit my tounge but it hurts...i know u guys have adhd but do u know why adderall wouldnt give me the energy other people get.......noone on depression forom uses it
oh im also on prozac
COMMUNITY LEADER
There are 3 possibilities that I can think of.
   One is that as May4you said in posts to you on the other forum, the two drugs tend to cancel each other out and you just haven't hit a high enough dose of the adderall to have an effect.  Doctors typically start patients out on the lowest dose and than gradually move up depending on the results.
   Reason two is kind of like one and that is the dose is somewhat dependent on body size.  So there is always some trial and error involved.
   Reason three is that you also have something like ADHD (which could be causing part of your anxiety).  If this is true than adderall will affect you completely differently than someone without ADHD.
  By the way, you have been driving yourself nuts over this issue (and I can understand why).  You really need to sit down and talk to your doctor and have him explain why he is doing what he is doing.  What you should expect.  How it affects your heart, etc.
  Just for the heck of it also go here - http://www.medhelp.org/medical-information/show/2157/Attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-ADHD?page=1#sec_3761  ;
    Check out the symptoms of ADHD and see if you ever remember having any of them as a child. In the book,  "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book.", by Susan Ashley - she says that adults with AD/HD are 3 times more likely to experience significant stress, depression or other emotional problems.  Good Luck!
I am glad he is your doctor, and not mine.
welll i did ok on the 60 mg of adderall yesterday but today heart rate went up and so did blod pressure called dr he lowered me to 15 mg twice a day... i dont know how thats going to help me with energy i was on 45 mg and it did nothing....pharmmsits say sometimes less s better,im to call my dr agin tommorwo...i think its all my anxiety..oh and i read the thing about adhd i dont think i have any of those symptoms just alot of anxiety amd depression
This is the wrong forum for you.
why im on  adderall..im sure people with adhd have depression and anxiety....maybe we would know about others medications..sorry if i offended u by posting