Acne Community

Acne Problems & Questions.

I moderate acne. Its all over my face but no where else on on body. I have had since i was about 12 and i'm 16 now and it has only progressively gotten worse, I have slowly seen it spread from my cheeks to my whole face in just a few years. I have to brush my teeth in the shower and I shave it too, I can't stand to look at my self in the mirror. Im ashamed of my physical appearance and I avoid all social contact I can. I have tried and researched so many things. From home remedies like lemons and salt water, to proactive & clean and clear. Salicylic Acid makes my face break out very bad, in large, painful pimples. The only other active ingredient that I have tried is Benzoyl Peroxide, it dries up my pimples but leaves little white heads all over my face. I have recently been putting Neosporin on my face and to my surprise it has been working well, but leaves my face super oily. Im not sure what to do, and I feel really lost.
Hi Fimple15

I would suggest the following. Use only gentle cleansers. Cetaphil for sensitive skin is loved by many acne sufferers, I used a gentle and all natural face cleansing regime called Karen Farley, made in New Zealand where I live and available for purchase online, but Cetaphil is fine. Stop using harsh cleansers they are too drying, it will irritate your skin stressing out your pores, which need to heal after a pimple and need gentle treatment. If your acne is cystic and painful I would highly recommend going to the doctor and going on a course of antibiotics. Antibiotics in conjunction with a gentle cleanser and moisturiser can work very well on moderate cystic acne and help fix the problem before it becomes too severe. Bear in mind that you must be patient and give the antibiotics time to work, you may be on them for a month or more. Take a supporting probiotic to protect your gut while you are on the antibiotics, ask your doctor what is best to take. I would also highly recommend taking a liquid zinc supplement (here in NZ I use Clinicians zinc, about 5 drops in a glass of water a day, but check with your doc). The zinc helps significantly with the scarring and purple marks.

For me, dropping all the harsh cleansers with salicylic acid etc in them was the best thing I ever did for my acne prone skin. Keep it gentle as possible is my advice and stay away from drying products. Cleanse twice a day only as over washing your skin will aggregate the problem, you skin needs to regain its natural oils and balance.

And finally, the most important part which you probably already know, is try very, very hard not to squeeze and pick at your cystic pimples, it will make them 10 times worse and much more likely to scar, also it hurts the pore even more and the pores around it which is why you get a group of pimples in one close area. If you absolutely must pop a pimple make sure it has a head on it do not touch it if it's blind you will only cause scarring . Use an alcohol/sterile wipe to cleanse the area, sterilise a needle and gently pierce the spot causing the least amount of damage to the skin as possible. DO NOT SQUEEZE IT after you have open the pore but with cotton buds, push DOWN on the skin around the pore with light pressure and gently let the gunk out. If the gunk turns clear or bloody STOP, as you do not want to cause further damage. Wipe the spot again gently with a sterilized wipe or pad. Please note, this is my advice from vast personal experiences with cystic acne. It is best not to pop or squeeze spots if possible.

If none of this helps and after a couple of months your acne is getting really bad please have your doctor refer you to a dermatologist, or, depending on the practice in your country, ask your doctor if Isotrentanoin is a necessary medication, this medication is a last resort as it can have some heavy side effects and should only be used if your skin is really bad and nothing else has worked. I finished a course of isotrentanoin 3 months ago and now I have no spots at all. I had to take it for 6 months.

Hope this helps and good luck :-)
I blurred out my face
I dealt with acne for 5 years, I'm also 16 but I found the magic solution after trying every acne wash, scrub, and system, many failed doctors appointments, going to dermatology offices, and even doing my fair share of acid peels. I was about to give up until I simply searched the word acne on google and found this amazing website. Go to acne.org and order the regimen. 99% of people got clear skin, and I am one of them. The 1% of people whose acne didn't improve was because they were using the products wrong. Research reviews on YouTube! It's outstanding how this product like works. It has a cleanser, acne treatment- which is 2,5% benzoyl peroxide, and a jojoba moisturizer. It's only sold online which is a bummer, but each product is 8oz each and last about 3-5 months, so it's a great deal. It costs about $40. If you're on a budget, this website also has a list of alternative products that you could use instead of the regimen. Give it a try!
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions