Acne Community

Acne

I have had acne since i was a teenager and have been on different medications.....i haven't really been using any thing prescribed to me and now my face has broken out badly...So i have been trying to drink more water but is there any over the counter med. that you have known of that works really good for you?
Hi. There is a lack of medical evidence that a healthy diet or drinking lots of water helps clear acne. Acne is caused by a sensitivity to the effects of androgens (the collective name for male hormones found in male and female bodies). Female acne patients respond well to taking an anti-androgen such as Spironolactone and/or a combined oral contraceptive pill such as Dianette/Diane35. Yaz or Yasmin can also help (these should not be taken with Spironolactone).
Alternatively, a course of oral antibiotics such as Oxytetracycline or Lymecycline will kill acne-causing bacteria on the skin (bacteria on the skin feeds off excess oil produced by the sebaceous glands as a result of more androgens than your body needs).
There are also many effective prescription topical meds which out perform over the counter remedies. These include Dalacin-T (clindamycin) Duac gel (clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide) Differin (adapalene) and Retin-a (tretinoin).
Eloise.
I KNOW! I HAVE ACNE TOO!
Acne cleansers are so abundant, sometimes it's hard to find the right one. I used Shielo's Complexion Scrub (which is also Antiaging) as my cleanser, as my skin tends to get pretty oily and I need a better exfoliant in the summer.

This face wash is essentially a better alternative to ProActive, as it has some similar ingredients but works more effectively. It foams perfectly, which is nice to find in an acne cleanser. This also really helps reduce oil. Sometimes the large grains in this wash can feel a little harsh, so I wouldn't recommend using this facial wash twice a day, as it could potentially damage the skin if used too frequently.

However, as a once in a while exfoliant, it works great to get my face squeaky clean and remove impurities. The cost is pretty comparable to most of the good cleansers out there, and the big bottle lasts a while. I like the design, as I usually have no problem getting all of the cleanser out of the bottle to avoid wasting money. Try it - it might work for you, too!
Hi Eloise. ,

I agree, a heathly diet, lots of water and exercise are essential to healthy skin. Our skin is our biggest organ and like our heart or kidneys it will respond well to generally being healthy.

There are so many products out there that claim to get rid of acne, believe me I've tried most of them. The first thing to look at is your cleansing routine. Keeping your skin clean is a start but over cleansing will actualy stimulate the pores to produce more oil (not good) also I used to be a toner freak, I'd use toner 3-4 times a day because it made my skin feel clean and the tingley which made me feel like it was doing something. I spoke to a dermatologist and he told me to stop that because toner is mostly alchohol and all that was doing was stripping the 'good' surface oils and water from my skin, basically the moisture that makes your skin look fresh and dewy, and stimulating the production of oil deeper in the skin which caused pimples and blackheads. Eventually I found a good balance in my regime that works, but it took a while (I first got acne in my teens and had adult acne till I was 27!) You can read more about what I found works on my blog [url]www.reduceacneredness.com[/url]  Best of luck!
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions