After accutane?

I was on accutane for 6 months last year, been off about a year. My question is this, my skin is ALWAYS dry. Always, when I try to use moisturizer then it's super oily, there is no happy medium. Am I doomed to have dry skin for the rest of my life? Also, since accutane my hair is always greasy, I got a body wave simply to dry it out, is this normal for after accutane? Any help you could give would be great, thanks!
Anna
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi. Accutane works by shrinking the sebaceous glands responsible for oil production. They grow back very very slowly by which time the patient has usually outgrown her tendency to acne, which is why the majority of Accutane patients have a long term remission from acne.
Choose an oil-free moisturiser- Clinique, Clarins and Estee Lauder all make good quality ones.
Eloise.
Helpful - 0
Hi.  I'm having the same problem as Heylady24.  I finished a course of accutane 2 years ago and my skin still has no oil production at all.  I used to have oily skin and i was told that my normal oil levels would resume post-accutane.  Is this true or is my skin going to remain dry for a long time?
Helpful - 0
The new Vaseline clinical therapy is pretty amazing.  I would give that a try...it's not as pricey as the Clinique.
Helpful - 0
I did accutane over five years ago (and it helped the cystic painful acne alot). I still have some of the side effects. My eyes dry out so much easier than they used to. My skin dries out easier still, but not sure if that's age or what...still getting acne, just not awful.

It's expensive, but using Clinique's Dramatically Different lotion (yellow, they have an oil free one) then the Moisture Surge helped my during accutane and post accutane dry skin.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Acne Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions