Acne Community

Chemical Peeling

I am a 27 year old female. I have normal sensitive skin. My skin is neither prone to acne nor am I suffering from wrinkles or scars. I faced acne problems some time back as I got allergic towards some very oily moisturizer that I had used previously. As per my dermatologist's prescription I used retin A 0.025 for some time. I got rid of acne and due to peeling of skin (as a result of retin A usage) my skin got lighter as the outer tanned layer got removed. I continued using Retin A and switched to Retin 0.05. But to my surpise the peeling stopped and I cannot see any new skin coming up. I am not sure if peeling is necessary for skin turn over or if Retin A is doing its part silently without any skin flaking.

I am currently thinking of doing glycolic chemical peeling for complexion improvement. I do not have dark skin, but my facial skin is darker compared to skin on my legs. I believe this is due to sun exposure. How much would be a right concentration of glycolic acid to start with? I heard that concentration as low as 15% would give invisible results. I do not want to burn my skin, but I believe there are peeling kits available in various concentrations (e-bay/amazon) which can be used at home ensuring safety. Would it be ideal to start with a 30% glycolic peel? I am considering this option as I read many reviews from people who have done similar peels at home and got expected results. Please guide me.
Hi there!

Chemical peels are not advised for facial skin since the skin on the face is sensitive as compared to the rest of the body and runs the risk of reactions. To improve facial complexion it is advised to use a sunblock (SPF 30 and above) when exposed to the sun. You could also try creams/ ointments containing tretinoin, hydroquinone, arbutin, azelaic acid, niacinamid etc. It is advisable to use these at night. If these do not seem to help, you may consider seeing a dermatologist for alternative management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions