Chemical peels?

Has anyone on this forum ever tried a chemical peel for back acne scarring?  I'm taking my daughter to a dermatologist to find out what can be done for her scarring.  She has her senior prom coming up in three months, and of course the dress in strapless.  My derm doesn't do microdermabrasion.  Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thaniks.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi. I have not had a chemical peel on my back, maybe other readers could contribute?
How is your daughter managing her acne now? Acne usually responds well to a course of oral antibiotics such as Oxytetracycline 250mg twice daily and a topical retinoid gel like Differin.
Another useful treatment for female acne patients is an anti-androgen contraceptive pill such as Yasmin or Diane35. Don't worry, these are commonly prescribed for teenage acne rather than birth control.
Acne occurs when androgens (male hormones found in male and female bodies) stimulate the sebaceous glands in the skin. Bacteria on the skin feeds off the excess oil (sebum) blocking the pores and resulting in spots. Combined contraceptive pills block the action of androgens on the skin. They can be used in conjunction with oral antibiotics and topical gels.
Alternatively a non-hormonal anti-androgen called Spironolactone may be prescribed.
Best Wishes, Eloise.
Helpful - 0
I appreciate you taking time to explain this to me.  My husband's family has genetic hair loss that starts at 8 years old.  By the time they are 20, they have hardly any hair left.  The unusual thing about his hair loss, being a guy, is that his is diffuse (loss all over his head and still has the front hairline) - his brother and sister both have the exact same pattern.  My husband and my 11 year old son also have brown patches of skin on their cheeks which I assume is melasma (the mask of pregnancy) - not common in men at all.  It comes and goes on both of them.  My two daughters don't get that at all.  Go figure.  They lose hair just like men do - androgenetic alopecia, but a diffuse kind of loss.
Your post just gave me the "umph" I need to go talk to doctors.  I just fear further hair loss with the birth control due to the unusual kind of hair loss and the melasma like patches, etc.  I will talk about the bc pills, and am interested in the spironolactone.
My husband also had the back acne.  And they do have oily skin and hair.  My daughter made her acne a thousand times worse by picking obsessively.  Her scarring will take years to clear.  So I'll address this with the docs and the derm.
Thanks again!
Helpful - 0
Hi. Diane35 and Spironolactone are also prescribed to treat hair loss (androgen-dependent alopecia) so don't worry, they won't cause hair loss. The risk of  Melasma/hyperpigmentation whilst on Diane35 can be minimized by avoiding direct UV light. I had the condition when I started taking Dianette (as Diane35 is called in the UK) but it completely cleared as my body got used to the medication.
Does your daughter have acne on her face aswell? There are lots of good full coverage foundations she could wear to her prom. I like Dermablend by Vichy and Toleriane by La Roche-Posay. Clinique and Estee Lauder both make maximum coverage foundation too.
To hide acne on the back for a special occasion I would use Covermark (I'm in the UK but google it and see if you have a similar product where you are).
Definately talk to your doctor. Acne can cause long-term psychological and physical scars (especially if she has a tendancy to pick which will delay healing) and should be dealt with robustly and quickly. Over the counter medicines are far less effective than prescription medicines. Total or excellent skin clearance can be achieved with the medicines we have discussed.
Best Wishes, Eloise.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Acne Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions