Isotretinoin (Accutane- low dosages) and its effect on the epiphyseal plate.

Hello Doctors,

I've just been recently prescribed by my dermatologist Isotretinoin (accutane) and am on my 4th day of treatment. After  doing extensive research on how accutane affects growth, it really concerns me as I'm currently only 16 years and 8 months old and hence am still in the growing stage of my life. My dermatologist however has prescribed me a very low dosage of 10mg per day for 7 consecutive days, after which would be switching onto a 30mg PER WEEK dose. My body mass is currently 65kg and am significantly below the minimal dose of the suggested 0.5 mg/kg/day boundary. Will the dose of accutane I'm currently prescribed compromise the development and growth rate of my bones?

Thanks in advance.

Ky
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi there!

Lower doses and shorter duration of medication is associated with lower incidences of side effects. Before initiating a treatment, the benefits may be evaluated against the potential risks/ side effects.

Take care!
Helpful - 0
Hello Dr. S. Kaul,

Am grateful for the reply. Is stunted growth a side effect or is it a general effect of consuming accutane on low dosages? As I've read up, isotretinoin actually promotes the conversion of testosterone in the body to female androgens (estrogen) in the body. As testosterone is directly linked to acne formation on the epidermis, a reduction of this hormone actually leads to decreased sebum production and hence less severe breakouts. However, there seems to be a direct link on increased estrogen leading to an accelerated closure of the epiphyseal plate as well. This maybe the lead  cause to stunted growth,

From a doctors evaluation, would my dosage me considered low? Judging that the lower-upper boundary standard dosage would be in a range of 0.5mg/kg/day-2mg/kg/day but however am consuming only 30 mg a week. I'm currently taken to be 65kg. What is your view doctor?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Acne Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions