Acne Community

Major acne breakout after going off birth control pill???

I don't understand why, but I was on Yaz early this year and my skin was beautiful.  I have always been acne prone, but I didn't really breakout on my face much, more my back and chest.  SO, I get migraines due to the Yaz and stop taking it.  My migraines stopped, but I broke out worse than EVER.  I am 32 yo and my acne is taking over my face - especially my forehead.  It is like bumps, that tend to be full of hard, round things - like a plug of oil.  Rarely is it a true whitehead.  Usually full of white material that is not watery and can be really hard - more like a blackhead.

What the heck is it about stopping the YAZ?  I have tried topicl benzoyl peroxide and clindomycin and just finished a course of oral doxycycline.  Nothing - not a bit of help.  

HELP!  I feel hideous and too old for this.
Hi. Acne is caused when androgens (male hormones found in both male and female bodies) stimulate the sebaceous (oil) glands. Certain contraceptive pills (Yaz, Diane35 and Ortho Tri-Cyclen) block the action of androgens are are prescribed to control acne as well as provide birth control.
If you cannot take the pill due to migraines ask your doctor for a gel called Differin. This is a topical synthetic retinoid which counteracts the abnormal skin processes invloved in acne.
Eloise.
*sorry that should have read "involved in acne"
Thank you for yor reply.  I do recall trying Differin in college (I had the same process - birth control stoppage, then acne) and the Differin was okay, Not wonderful, but perhaps I would get a different effect 10 years later.  Thanks again!!
Differin is even more effective when used in conjunction with oral antibiotics such as Oxytetracycline or Erythromycin.
Eloise.
I am 27 years old and I had a similar problem, after being on Birth Control for 5 years I decided to stop.  I had never had acne much as a teenager but within a few months of stoping my BCP my skin had completely broken out.  The antibiotics helped but were only temporary.  It had been nearly a year and no change, I was getting so frustrated and was about to go back on the pill  but decided to do some searching for natural remedies.  I have been taking Evening Primrose Oil to help regulate my hormones again and Echinacea to improve my immune system.  I've been using that for a month and I've seen dramatic results.  My skin is finally clearing!  I use a cleanser with salicyc acid, and the aveeno clear skin moisturizer.  Although my skin is nearly clear, I've also recently started taking a supplement called Acneticin, I've read many things on the internet and this is suppose to be a great internal treatment for acne.  I am finally starting to feel comfortable in my own skin again!  Hope this helps you or anyone else who's having similar problems.
Hi! I had a similar problem where i had been on BC for about 5 years, and after a month of stopping it my skin went crazy! I had breakouts prior to taking the pill, but never this bad. They were big disgusting blister like things. 6 months i've been dealing with this ****. I took antibiotics, that only did so much. But what i found that REALLY helps is taking olive leaf extract. It works to balance your hormones and kill any bacteria like yeast and molds that everyone has a little bit of in their system, but acne sufferers happen to have a significant amount more that our liver can't process out fast enough, plus over production sebum and what not causing bacteria to grow. it also helps fight off infections and a whole list of other things. i never thought about it for my skin, but my friend recommended it, and i noticed a HUGE difference within a weeks time. My skin just totally calmed down, not nearly as red. I can tell its in the healing process. I'd say you've got nothing to loose. Plus i think it's safe to take during pregnancy, but i would definitely check with a doc. first on that one. Good luck everyone!
You may have heard this from your doctor and if you are a coffee drinker this might hurt but believe it cause it's true, my dermatologist told me that caffeine could increased acne.  I didn't believe it but i tested it...everyday for a week i drank it and sure enough i would get a pimple the next day and as soon as i stopped drinking it, it stopped. I do drink it once or twice a week without a problem and adding the BC helped improve my skin.
I got on the pill when I was 26 because I had severe acne since I was a teenager and it cleared up my face amazingly. When I was 30 I decided to get off the pill and to my horror my acne returned after 6 months with a vengence. It was EVERYWHERE and it physically and emotionally hurt. I missed a few days of work and went into hiding a lot. Forget about dating. I couldn't handle it any more. I went back on the pill. At 34 I felt like I wanted to live a clean lifestyle and not be on any medication. I got off the pill again. It's now been 10 months and my skin is actually great!!! I did go through a breakout as my hormones were regulating which ALMOST caused me to go back on the pill but I stuck it out.
The thing that is different this time around than when I was 30 is that now that I'm older my lifestyle has completely changed. I looked deeper into what might be causing my acne. Instead of putting a band-aid over it and taking the pill, I looked at my diet, excercize, stress, level, and cleansers. For my diet I eat less processed foods, no caffine, very little sugar, and lots and lots of fruits and veggies, I work out 3-4 days a week with yoga, I used Proactive for years but it didn't work on me anymore so I asked my dermatologist to give me something. I now use Benzaclin. It's cheaper and works better than Proactive. My skin continues to get better every day, my periods are on schedule so I think I can safely say that the BCPs are out of my system and my skin will only get better from here out.

Good luck!!
Hello ladies,

Thank you all for your helpful stories and comments.  I do feel much much better.  I have been off the pill for the last three months and have been having problems with skin.  I have pimples not only on my face, but also inside my scalp and on my back and chest.  It is awful!!!!
I will try drinking less caffeine and eating more fruits and veggies.
How long will it take for my body to regulate itself???

thanks,

anuta
I have been off for a while now (actually forget) and I have to keep on top of the acne, although it is very slowly improving.  

I wash with a benzoyl peroxide wash, use astringent with salicylic acid and then put on benzoyl peroxide lotion at night with a clear cream that is prescription and starts with a "Z",  Sorry, can't remember them all right now.  

Take care!
I have no doubt in my mind that my severe acne break-out was directly related to me stopping Yasmin. I originally went on it to control my *minimal* acne (on face, chin and back), but when I came off of the pill, it was OUT OF CONTROL. I developed it all over my chin, neck, back and chest within a month of coming off of it, and possibly the worst, most disturbing part was that I developed painful, disgusting little pustules ALL OVER my scalp that bleed, under my hair. It was like a freak show. I have never had them before or since then, so I know it's related to the pill. Needless to say, I went back on Yasmin pretty quickly to stop these effects, though I am now haunted by how unnatural it felt to have that acne appear after I went off the pill. Can't help but wonder if Bayer is completely aware of this strange effect and how it helps their profits. ;)
I have had acne all my life, I am 33 yrs old. For the past 32 years, I tried everything from over the counter to prescriptions, nothing worked. I am fair skin, have oily skin. I believe I have found something that worked. For the past year I have been 95% acne free here is my story.  I now use these over the counter products, Apple cider vinegar as a daily face wash, I dissolve about 5 aspirins as a paste and use it as a mask for ten minutes daily. I also stopped drinking milk, milk produces hormones that can cause acne. I bought this product that's is called "tanda" its a blue light therapy, it works by eliminating bacteria on your face. I believe milk was my biggest cause. Also if your a male and you shave , instead of shaving use a beard trimmer to get a close shave, that way you will not get the irritation from a straight razor. I hope this helps.
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions