So now for foods that you CAN eat.
Lean meat..(no fast food meat that is very fatty or processed meats)
If you stick to the diet, you may feel you are missing out on your coke, ice-cream, donuts, cake and all those other foods loaded with refined sugars, but you don't necessarily need to give them up forever.
Avoid these foods until you have no more breakouts... or better yet, completely clear skinned.
After that you can do one of two things.
Introduce 1 food into your diet at a time daily to see how it affects your skin. Chances are if it's one of the foods that I mentioned above you will notice yourself breaking out again. Then you will know for sure that diet DOES affect your acne. Chances are if you fall back into your old habits your acne will also be just around the corner. SUGARY FOODS ARE BAD FOR THE SKIN! Any food that causes an abrupt release of hormones, or causes an imbalance will cause you to break out.
Another thing to do to help your body is to detoxify the body.
Every morning when you first wake up, make it into your daily routine is to take a lemon and squeeze the juice out, mix this with water and drink it! If you do this first thing in the morning it will help detoxify the body very very well. Detoxifying the body like this may actually induce a breakout because of the toxin release through the skin my plug some of your pores... but also a sign that your body is cleansing itself.
In addition to that... You can take some of the lemon juice you have just squeezed... and apply it to your skin. It may burn a bit because of it's acidity but it will also help your acne. The acid will kill the acne causing bacteria on your skin, and also help old dead skin come off as well.
There is a study done by the Japanese that demonstrated that those who did the early morning cleanse with the lemon water drink, and then applied the extra lemon juice to their acne, had been enough to treat there acne.
Another thing you can do is exercise... Not only does exercise improve circulation, but it also allows for faster delivery of nutrients to skin cells and other cells in the body, as well as faster elimination of toxins from the body. Not only that, but it will also reduce your stress levels, hence reduce the amount of cortisol released from your kidneys.
Avoid touching your face!!! You can have millions of bacteria happily residing on your hands, and you just gave them a new place to stay if you touch your face, shoulders.. or wherever... Or what you can do is wash your hands before you touch your face.
Wash your towel, pillowcase, bed sheets, and blankets regularly. You don't want colonies of bacteria growing on them.
Your hair... perhaps one of the best places for bacteria to reside is your hair. In fact, I think this is where most of the bacteria will come from initially that cause your bacteria. Wash your hair!
Also a key point... wash your hair FIRST! Yes wash your hair first, condition etc first. The bacteria and oil in the shampoo will be coming down your body when you rinse and so if you wash your hair last... and then rinse, you can be washing all that bacteria in your hair all over the rest of your body.
The key supplements are vitamin A which plays an important role in maintenance and repair of skin tissues. It is found in yellow, orange, green fruits. Carrots are an excellent source... you should eat 1 or 2 carrots everyday. Or supplement with vitamin A. Vitamin E is also important for the elasticity and health of the skin and helps the skin repair itself faster. Zinc is essential for the absorption of vitamin A and give an immune system boost. It also has an effect of regulating the activity of the sebaceous glands.
Drink lots of water!!!
Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily to help eliminate toxins and improve nutrient absorption in your cells. Drink some water before you sleep because the body can become dehydrated as you sleep.
Include Green tea in your diet.
Green tea is loaded with antioxidants and can reduce inflammation and decrease some hormone activity causing acne. Get your caffeine from Green Tea rather than Coffee!!! Also there is far less caffeine in green tea than coffee anyways so it won't cause the harmful effects of excessive caffeine ingestion
Include Garlic in your diet.
Garlic is great and will help make your skin look young. It will also prevent inflammation, when digested the garlic can kill bad bacteria in the colon.
Get 8 hours of sleep every night... and be consistent with your bed time, and your wake time. Your body can then adjust to the most appropriate time of day ( your sleep time) to eliminate toxins.
You do not need to take antibiotics to treat your acne. You will actually make your immune system "Lazy"
in dealing with acne causing bacteria if you do this.
Popping your pimples:
Do not pop your pimples... for the following reasons..
1. You just spread the bacteria to the surrounding area of skin.
2. You just killed your own white blood cells... yes that whiteness in the pimple, are your own healthy functioning immune cells doing their job and eating the bacteria. The inflammation or redness is a signal "IMMUNE SYSTEM ATTACK HERE"... you just killed your own healthy immune cells.
3. The pimple will take much much longer to heal, and in some cases may actually scar depending on the size of the pimple.
UV Light and acne.
UV light WILL kill your acne, however I will not do this because it also damages your skin, breaks down collagen, damages DNA essentially it ages your skin.
It is the blue light or violet light present in UV light that kills the acne causing bacteria.
This is what I am looking into next... I also believe that home laser hair removal kits will help you with your acne if your acne is causes by ingrown hairs. I'm going to be purchasing one within a month which is a bit steep in price at 500 dollars, but I think it's well worth it. I have ingrown hairs on my neck, and sometimes I also get acne on my neck.
For men and shaving... avoid a close shave and shave in the direction of the hair follicles growth rather than against it.
I have been looking extensively for answers on how to help myself treat my acne lately... I'm 25 and I have had back acne since I was 14 years old and it has absolutely devastated and crushed my self esteem. It's not the worst case of back acne. I have done many things from proactiv... to differin cream.
I have been always busy doing other things to not fully devote myself, but now I really want to be able to take my shirt off in public and not have to feel embarrassed about my acne, also I want to be able to date a woman not having to worry about taking my shirt off. So I decided this is it, I'm going to do what I can do.
And finally!!! I Have the results I want!!! I'm proud of myself, I finally beat my acne without accutane, antibiotics. For the longest time I thought it would just go away when I get older, but that didn't happen.
Now I'm finally acne free.
In summary what I have been doing:
1. No more coffee in my diet.
2. No more dairy in my diet.
3. No more diet softdrinks in my diet.
4. No more refined flour in my diet, and I am greatly reducing the amount of bread products I am eating.
5. I bought a juicer, and have my lemon juice every single morning first thing.
6. I have been washing my back with lemon juice... Not only is this killing the bacteria, it also sped up the time
of that "after redness' and discoloration of the skin where a pimple once was.
7. I have been exercising daily. I have been doing both cardio, and yoga.
8. I use a towel 3 times only, after the 3rd use, It's time for a new towel.
9. Also when I towel my body, i 'pat' my skin dry rather than rub it dry. This will help retain moisture in the skin. And also not spread dead skin cells across you which my plug a pore.
10. I clean my bed sheets, blankets, and pillow case once a week. In addition to that, I only wear clean clothes when it's bedtime, and I shower before bed, so I am clean before I go into my bed.
11. I have been drinking my 8 glasses of water a day.
12. I wear 3 shirts a day... 1 after my shower and before my bed, 1 after i get out of bed and go off for my day, and 1 after i workout. (I know showering would help after my workout but then i just want to have 1 shower a day, not 2).
13.Hair... I wash my hair daily, and I wash it first when I shower. The bacteria will rinse off on my body, and the bacteria will wash all over my body out of my hair. If you want try something like head and shoulders shampoo, which is a bit harsher shampoo but will kill more bacteria rather than just 'wash it out'. But it's also a harsher shampoo. Or use an anti-bacterial shampoo.
14. Daily supplements... Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Garlic Oil, Zinc, Omega 3, Cal/Mag/Zinc, probiotic supplement.
15. 2 cups of green tea daily, in the morning a caffeinated cup, in the evening a decaffeinated cup.
16. Getting that 8 hours of sleep, and those 8 glasses of water.
17. Also I haven't been drinking any alcohol at all.
18. I have also been avoiding legumes, peanuts, etc.
19. One surprise is that I still include my one piece of dark chocolate (85%) cocoa
20. No soy products.
21. I have been eating more fresh fruits and fresh vegetables.
I hope this helps someone!!! I finally did it... and I have never felt better in my life. Before I came up with this theory that acne is a 'vitamin D deficiency'... my acne got better not because I was supplementing vitamin D, but because I had quit drinking coffee during the same time. I continued my vitamin D therapy but reintroduced coffee back into my diet which included lots of caffeine and lots of cream(i always got cream in my coffee) my acne came back again.
So I decided that I would seek out as much acne information I can and treat my own acne the way I want to treat it (with no prescription drugs, antibiotics, or harsh acne creams).
I succeeded!!! I think you can to if you follow this very closely. It's going to take self discipline though to follow all these rules.
I have noticed the usual person who answers questions in the acne forum is away... So i feel I have a calling to help out the people I can!
Just reviewed my list... just so everyone knows. The 3 t-shirts a day thing is a thing of the past now. Now I just wear 2 t-shirts a day. And sometimes I just sleep shirtless.
I did this before I learned all the diet methods.
Just wanted to bump this to the top.
Sorry everyone... I tried answering questions but I'm pooped now.
Please feel free to ask me any questions, I can relate to acne 100% since I have lived with it as well.
The normal person who usually answers questions in the acne forum seems to not be answering questions anymore... : (
I don't have all the time in the world but I'll be sure to get back posting here.
Another key thing... Don't use fabric softener when you are washing your clothes. The fabric softener leaves very oily like residue left over on your clothes which can cause breakouts.