Acne Community

Rash/Acne

Hi all-

I have had persistent cystic type acne for about 5 years now.  I'm a 23 year old male and it seems to all date back to a time I had very very bad poison ivy.  I've tried antibiotics and several of the gels/creams.  Right now I have a very bad red rash on my forehead that seems like it consists of extremely dry skin but which gets oily at night.  I have since switched off of all antibioitcs and creams and just wash with a light cleanser.  I rarely get cysts anymore but my skin remains on this dry to oily continuum.  Does anyone have any idea what may be going on / what I should try?
I don't know if the poison ivy is related to your acne, since it is very common to get acne at the age you did.
Specifically, what did you try for your acne? One of the best topical gels is Differin which is effective at clearing acne whilst being generally well tolerated without causing excessive dryness like other preparations can.
Use a good quality cleanser for combination skin. I like Estee Lauder's Perfectly Clean Splash Away cleanser which gives a real soap-and-water clean feeling without dryness. Apply an astringent toner only to the oily areas and a light moisturiser only to the dry areas.
Does the rash on your forehead itch?
Eloise x
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions