Self-esteem

Hello, all.

I first started getting acne when I was in 5th grade. I am now 21 years old and I am still struggling with it. It is hereditary in my family.

Every medication fails to work on my skin. It has finally become so frustrating, that I have given up. I'm hoping as time goes on, it will fade away on its own.

However, growing up with acne, I have constantly felt worthless and unattractive. It has taken a huge toll on my confidence.

My question is, how does everyone deal with the self-esteem issues that come along with this condition?

Thanks,

Lisa
I also had acne ever since i was 14 now i'm  24. It's really hard, u consider urself as an ugly duckling. At times i find it so hard to date, not get out of the house. Sometimes i wished tht i could jst die than to live this horribly life with an ugly face. I guess we just have to be patient.
I have felt teh same way for 32 years, i finally did something that worked. after spending hundreds of dollars in meds and over the counter products this regemin is doing the trick. i have post this several times but here it is.

I been there. I had severe acne and cysts till I was 32yrs old. I am now 33 and almost acne free. I still get acne but not enough to panic. I had it really bad. I believe I found a regimen that worked for me. I was in the same boat as you. This is what I did and it finally worked after trying every med and over the counter product there ever was. Here is my regimen, of by the way, I am really light skinned and have oily skin.  I stopped drinking milk, I noticed when I drank milk I developed cysts. Milk produces hormones that are known to break people out. I know drink almond milk. I also use this product called tanda, its a bit expensive but it works, its a blue light therapy that eliminated bacteria in your face. I also bought apple cider vinegar, it really stinks so use it at night, but it helps with my oily skin and last I make aspirin masks, crush 5 to 6 aspirins let it dissolve in very litttle water and then use it as a mask for 15 minutes or so.  This is what I do and I still get some bumps here and there but for the most part I am acne free. I am a man by the way.  I hope this helps.
Healthadvisory:

Thank you so much for sharing your routine. I am going to try the aspirin mask and the apple cider vinegar. I have oily skin as well, so I am willing to try almost anything to prevent my skin from becoming excessively oily. As far as milk, I don't really drink much of it anyway, so that is good to know. Now I have a good excuse not to drink it! :) That is great that you have found something that works for you. I'm sure it has done wonders for your confidence.

198555:

I relate to your feelings about seeing myself as an ugly duckling. I grew up with acne, so I really don't know what life is like with out it... I really envy people who have not had to deal with this condition. Sometimes I don't want to go out of the house because my skin is bad and I don't feel like putting in all the effort to get ready to go out. It seems like it takes longer for me to get ready than people with a nice complexion. They have one less thing to worry about.
i share the same feeling as you about having acne. i have had acne since either 5th or 6th grade. i have acne on my face, chest, and back. i hate that i cannot put pretty shirts because the acne in my back is bad. if i do put a nice shirt i have to put like a little shirt to cover my back. i hate acne. i envy people that do not have acne and could look pretty. i sometimes do not feel pretty because i have acne, especially my face.
just to let u know that u r not alone about how u feel about acne.
I understand what you mean about wearing nice shirts. I also have body acne, in addition to acne on the face. My skin doesn't allow me to wear nice clothes. I always feel like I have to cover my body up.

You are reading content posted in the Acne Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions