Severe Cystic Acne w/ medicinal allergies

I have severe cysitc acne that covers my upper back.  I went to a dermatologist for this condition beginning at age 12.  

During the course of treatment I was perscribed Minocycline, Doxycycline, tetracycline, and sulfa based medications, all resulting in allergic reactions.  I was finally placed on Accutane with positive results while taking the drug, however six months after completing treatment, the acne returned again.  A year later I resumed taking Accutane, unfortunately, with the same results.  

At 18, I began a homeopathic course of treatment which consisted of taking a variety of vitamins each day. But, I saw no changes in my skin.  My hormone levels were also tested, and came back within the normal range.

My question now is, are their any other options for clearing my acne?  Thank you for any assistance.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi. I too see positive results whilst taking Accutane, but relapse shortly after finishing the course.
Are you male or female? Sorry cannot tell from your post. If you are female have you tried taking an anti-androgen contraceptive pill such as Diane35? Although your hormone levels may be normal, you could be particularly sensitive to their effects.
Are you allergic to oral erythromycin? this is sometimes a suitable alternative for people who cannot tolerate tetracylcines.
What are your results like with topical medications such as Differin?
Eloise x
Helpful - 0
i had severe cystic acne (three courses of accutane, and every other drug commonly prescribed) until i took turmeric (an indian spice).

i'm acne-free now.
Helpful - 0
Another anti-androgen medication is Aldactone.  You can get it in generic form.  Ask your doctor.  Aldactone is not birth control and I believe it to be much safer.  I've been on it for 7 years now.  It's worth a try!

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Acne Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions