Acne Community

Severe Cystic Acne

Hi- First I live in the outback of Australia and the nearest GP is a total prat and will not help me.  I am 40 years old with severe cystic acne- My GP has told me "not a lot can be done for it, and eventually I will out grow it"- It is all over my chest and parts of my face and is only getting more severe.  Unfortunately there is not another doctor close so I need some suggestions.  One of the immediate problems is I am to be in a wedding soon and the dress that has been chosen is going to show my horrific chest- All my tops have to have high collars to cover the problem.  I wear no make up - and need some help about what else I can do.
The doctor should investigate your acne as there may be an underlying hormonal cause such as PCOS that needs treatment.
There are many things that can be done to help acne. A course of oral antibiotics such as Oxytetracycline or Erythromycin would be useful. A topical synthetic retinoid such as topical Isotretinoin or Differin will also help. If tests show that you have high levels of male hormones in your body an oestrogen or anti-androgen medication would help. I suggest one more visit to the doctor, armed with this information.
Over the counter products are of limited benefit compared to prescription treatments when acne is this severe, and you shoud be realistic about their usefulness. That said, the best non-prescription acne gel I have found is Freederm.
Don't be reluctant to wear make-up to a special occasion, there are lots of useful full coverage foundations which don't appear mask like. Estee Lauder Maximum coverage foundation is very good. Alternatively, could you wear a pashmina or shawl?
Eloise.
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions