Severe upper back Acne but a SUPER clear face

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I am a 30 year old female.  I have recently developed severe upper back acne ( 15-20 red bumps on my upper back) that dont seem to go away. On the other hand My face is VERY clear and I have never had facial acne. As far as I know, I am not allergic to anything and eat a primarily vegetarian diet. I cannot figure out what is causing this and would really appreciate your help.

Tara
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi. Adult acne is becoming more common and can occur on the face, chest or back. Androgens (male hormones found in both male and female bodies) stimulate the sebaceous glands which produce oil. If you have high levels of androgen, or a particular sensitivity to their effects you may produce too much oil. Your glands then get blocked with excess oil and bacteria and spots form.
The most likely cause is hormonal change. Is there any chance you could be pregnant? Or have you recently changed your method of birth control? Women prone to acne will benefit from taking a combined contraceptive pill as oestrogen blocks the effect of androgens on the skin. Avoid the mini-pill, depot shot or hormonal IUD as these can induce acne.
Diet has not been shown to effect the abnormal skin processes involved in acne. Some people are just more sensitive to the effects of androgens than others.
If this is diagnosed as acne your doctor can prescribe an effective treatment. Topical synthetic retinoids like Differin (adapalene 0.1%) are effective and generally well tolerated. A course of oral antibiotics such as Oxytetracycline or Lymecycline may also be indicated.
Eloise.
Helpful - 0
Try changing your shampoo/creamrinse, soap, lotion. I find some of these products (especially highly perfumed ones) flare-up my bacne.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Acne Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions