Should I make the switch?

I have been using Differin gel and minocycline for 3 months with wonderful results so far and no side effects. My problem is that my insurance does not cover the cost of Differin and it is very expensive ( $200). I let my doctor know and he gave me a prescription for Retin A and said it was the same medication but its cheaper and should be covered by my insurance. I'm scared to switch to something new when i'm getting the results i want with the Differin, especially since he said Retin A is harsher. Is it worth the switch?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I think I might shop around a bit for price quotes for the Differin and I did go on the website for the rebate.
Helpful - 0
Another option is to call around for price quotes.  Costco pharmacy offers Differin for $160.  Plus, there is a $25 rebate available at the Differin website.  So this would bring the cost down a bit.  

In addition, Galderma (company that makes Differin) has a patient assistance program that provides free medications to qualifying patients.  Google for more info.  Looks like there's some paperwork to fill out.  
Helpful - 0
Retin-A is available as cream or gel and in many different strengths (0.025%, 0.05%, etc).  Although it is harsher than Differin, starting with a low strength should minimize the harshness.  
Helpful - 0
Hi. Differin is considered to be generally better tolerated than Retin-A. If you do switch and find your skin becomes sensitized, rebalance it with gentle cleansing products. Effclar H cleansing foam by La Roche-Posay is specially formulated to care for oily skin made fragile by over-drying skincare.
Taking a combined oral contraceptive pill such as Yasmin, Ortho-Tricylin or Diane35 can benefit females with acne. Would your insurance cover these brands, or their generic versions? Avoid the mini-pill (everyday pill) depot shot or hormonal IUD though as these may induce acne.
If your doctor considers that you warrant both oral antibiotics and the pill use a barrier method of contraception as there is a risk that tetracyclines may reduce the contraceptive properties of the pill.
Eloise.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Acne Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions