TIRED OF ACNE!

I just have a question on what I need to do next for clear skin. I am 23 years old and I have had acne ever since I was 10 years old. However my acne has been ten times worse since Ive been out of high school. I have been on anything you can imagine almost all topicals: Clindamycin, RetinA, (benzacline-which I'm on now) and I have had my fair share of oral antibiotics such as Tetracyclines which I had to come off of because they rip up my stomach, minocycline and Soldyn. These medications gave me other kinds of infections so I had to come off them. I have been on accutane once and remained clear for about a year. Now my acne is back but not as severe as before. My whole forehead and nose are clear but my cheeks and chin are the rough areas. My mom is 42 and is still suffering from acne and has been on accutane 5 times. I should also tell you I have overactive oil glands and my face and hair are always so oily. I researched hormonal imbalances and heard that an increase in androgens can cause acne and overactive sebum. I have a dermatology apt in 2 weeks but I'm not sure if I should try accutane again since the side effects are so severe and if Im anything like my mother.. a second trial might not even work! My mother's doctor is going to try her on Aldactone to decrease androgen production so I'm hoping it works for her! Any suggestions?!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Water, water, water is definitely a big one! Everyone is different as far as diet goes, but I keep all saturated fats and omega-6's out of my diet (ok I occasionally give in and have a naughty treat once in a while!) I have found that milk is a big trigger for me. Don't touch your face or scrub your skin when washing, as this spreads the bacteria.

If it is hormonal imbalances then this needs to be worked on, as already said but treating it topically as well can't do any harm. I personally use Aknicare, gentle cleansing gel (AM) lotion (AM & PM) and cream (AM & PM) and the cleanser (PM. It works so well for me, without the dreaded side effects listed from roaccutane and the likes.
Helpful - 0
kb dermafirm peeling gel is  anti aging also lightening your ark skin in just 1 min.
Helpful - 0
My 19yo daughter has been suffering like you. She finally went on BC due to irregular periods and the acne and it made it way worse!!! The first two months were awful. I felt so bad for her. I called her doctor and told her and she changed her to Tri-sprintec. This helped a little, she is on the 3rd or 4th month with it. Then she went to a dermatologist who told her that the clindamycin gel she was using was only effective if paired with benzylperoxide wash. Nice to know after using for about 6months! Jeez. Also put her on Tazarac. Have you used this? It is extremely drying and so far no big improvement. she is building up to daily use but it is hard to use and it doesnt work quickly. I wish there was an answer to this stupid acne. I feel horrible when I see how scarred her face is becoming. Another thing that the dermatologist told her was not to use any products with oil. I guess her foundation had some even though it was a mineral powder by Pur. She loved that product but it may have been part of the problem. Hope you find relief!
Helpful - 0
I think the comment above from els012 is on target stating that Birth control pills helped her. Based on your history you have not tried this approach yet and it tends to be very effective or at least lessen the effects by 50% or more. Talk with your doctor about a "no period" birth control pill like Seasoneque or Lybrel. It is perfectly safe to do it this way and takes the monthly fluctuations out of the picture which can exacerbate acne.  
Helpful - 0
It depends on what cause acne. You should start from there and the reason is always inside, so treating your skin with a lot of products can only make it worse.

In my case  contraceptive pills worked well with acne. Diet, exercise, vitamins & omegas, water, water, water...
Helpful - 0
* When I mean rough areas I'm talking about cystic acne and my chin is covered in small white heads that never ever want to leave! I have blemishes on top of old blemishes.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Acne Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions