acne and hormones

Hi I have adult acne-I'm a 26 year old female and have had acne since I was 16. It has gone from slight to severe cystic then back to moderate. I'm still getting cysts and I don't use milk products. I don't have a food allergy and I cut out all sugar except natural sugars. I recently had my hormones checked by a reproductive endocrinologist at the follicular phase of my cycle and the doctor said they were normal. I think my testosterone looks on the high end. Could this be a cause? Estradiol=41 Cortisol=18.6 Insulin=6 DHEA Sulfate=183 Testosterone=66 Progesterone=65 TSH 3rd gen=1.08 T4 Free=1.3 Glucose=86 LH=3.7 FSH=3.6 Prolactin=13.7
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Even though your doctor considers your levels within the "normal" spectrum, you could be particularly sensitive to their effects. Take an anti-androgen contraceptive pill like Dianette (Diane35 in the USA) which provides birth control and clears acne and facial hair. Or take the combined pill Yasmin which is not based on testosterone. Loiloi xx
Helpful - 0
What if she doesn't want to go on birth control?  Are there any other medications she can take to control her testosterone level?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Acne Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions