acne treatment resistance

I'm seventeen and have been seeing a dermatologist since I was fifteen.  I'm currently on Duac topical gel + Differin .3.  These worked for a little while but they just didn't stop my cystic acne which can just be a monster, so my dermo prescribed an oral antibiotic. I know some people will go on and on about the harmful effects of antibiotics for long term use, but because my cystic acne was extremely painful and scaring, I felt that I no other option.  This worked for a few months but soon my acne resurfaced. Last summer I switched over to Amoxicillin and experienced a very minimal amount of acne for about 5 months! But yet again, I can't seem to beat it for good because my acne has started to return.  My doctor is trying to keep me on as small dosage as possible, so I am weary to increase. I've also read about antibiotic resistance and I am wondering if that's what I'm experiencing.  Is antibiotic resistance something I should be concerned about?  Also, please let me know if there is any other form of treatment to help this persistent case of acne, as I am always waiting for that magical cure!
Thanks!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm 17 & have cystic acne sometimes as well... I normally tan during summer & it helps me not to breakout but during winter i will break out. ive started using exposed acne treatment. i cant say its a miracle worker but it has helped. people have bragged on my skin since ive started using it. maybe it'll help you if you give it a try
Helpful - 0
Milk and stress can cause acne cysts.
Helpful - 0
oh i never hardly drink milk... but i do stress quite often i guess...
Helpful - 0
I think you should try several things and if they all don't work then the next step is Accutane. I don't think its good for your body to be on all kinds of antibiotics. I took Accutane, my acne is gone. I wish I would have done it much earlier in my life. I waited until I was 25.
Helpful - 0
oh really? i dont really wanna have to go on it because mine isnt there severe. how can i make the acne heal quicker?
Helpful - 0
yes antibiotic resistance is a issue. Don't continue taking antibiotics for more than two weeks. Take a good gap before starting another course of antibiotic. discuss this issue with your doctor.
Use Benzac ac gel 2.5% if you want. See what it does. Check if it suits your skin. Benzac ac gel is a nice cure.
If that doesn't work try using Retino AC gel. This is super effective. But can Cause drying of skin or a little irritability. After applying this check if it suits you. If you feel any side effects just wash it away.
My problem of acne was cured by "Retino AC gel". It works quickly and prevents future outbreaks if used at a gap of 1 or 2 days.
Keep your skin clean. Whenever you come home from outside do wash your face with Luke warm water or with some face wash. Intake vitamins and zinc. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Drink more water.
Everything I said was based on my experiences and what my dermatologist asked me to do.
Good luck.
Helpful - 0
I did not have severe looking acne either. The severity of acne is not determined by how it looks, its determined by how resistant it is to medication. I tried all kinds of medication before my dermatologist believed my acne was bad enough for accutane.
Helpful - 0
okay thank yall so much!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Acne Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions