acne
i m 26yrs old, n i started having acne wen i was 23yrs...i have used azithromycin  for acne, for about 2years.. not continously though... i want to know what effect it would have on my liver....  i also had peels done, but acne is still persisting....n i hv got acne scars also.... can u suggest a treatment for my problem..... thank you
Hi. Oral antibiotics are widely prescribed for acne. It is unlikely this medicine has damaged your liver, but ask your doctor for a liver function test if you are concerned.
Alternative treatments include topical retinoids such as Differin, topical antibiotics such as Duac, or oral tetracyclines such as Oxytetracycline. Discuss these with your doctor. You don't state your gender, but female acne patients will benefit from taking an anti-androgen contraceptive pill such as Yasmin or Diane35.
Eloise.
I am in the same boat as you - i started getting acne when i was 21 which i though was a little odd. My dermatologist told me it is common in adult females as it is usually hormonal; however, i refuse to take birth control because i believe the harmful effects outweigh the benefits. I am on perscription to calm the inflammation but for more of a sustainable long-term solution it is important to focus on a low glycemic diet as refined sugars tend to effect hormones. It is easy to find low glycemic diets online but staying away from high fructose corn syrup and any sugary drinks is very important.
I am experiencing similar situatio  after enjoying years of acne free face. I have tried everything humanly possible but I guess once its severe acne one has to limit expectations. Anyway,i am currently on Tab Azithromycin and topical benzoyl peroxide switched occasionally with topical retinoid at night. I use sebamed clear face gel as moisturizer cause it's oil free and irritant free,the last and most important thing is i avoid sun like it's a plague. I leave home earlier than usual for work and dont return until evening even though i can leave as soon as work is done.the reason is i don't want to use sunscreens. Most of the ones i have tried caused me more breakouts so I am going really radical right now. Lol. I started this whole regimen less than a week ago and sincerely no new cysts so far and the old ones are healing fast. So I think this whole process is worth the wait. Oh one more thing I use only coconut oil for my cooking and avoid processes foods as much as possible.