Acne Community

itchy bumps and blisters face rash

I almost always have these hard red bumps on my face that can get itchy. They don't really form pimples or pop, they just seem to come and go. Sometimes they're blister like with clear fluid and can burn (after I scratch the hell out of them). My dermatologist told me he thinks it's keratosis pilaris (which I have had on my arms in my childhood). Could this be allergy or food sensitivity related? I did recently find out I am very allergic to dust mites, and I've always speculated a gluten/dairy sensitivity. Any input?
Hi there,
It may not be possible to determine the exact cause of your symptoms without complete clinical evaluation and merely on the basis of a picture. These bumps can be due to any allergy, inflammation or infection. From the image and the details you have provided in your post, this sounds like rosacea. Rosacea is a cutaneous disorder primarily of convexities of the central part of the FACE, such as FOREHEAD; CHEEK; NOSE; and CHIN. It is characterized by FLUSHING; ERYTHEMA; EDEMA; RHINOPHYMA; papules; and ocular symptoms. Treatment goals are to control the condition and improve appearance. Avoid any possible triggers for the flare ups. Rosacea may be influenced by smoke, weather and certain food. So avoid any of these as much as possible. You have been taking oral antibiotics which appeared to have improved your condition. Oral medications for rosacea may help to improve the condition. It is best to see a dermatologist and get evaluated. Treatment will depend on the underlying cause. Hope it helps.
Good luck and take care!
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions