Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

spotty face

hi i have never had many spots as a teenager now i have turned 40 i have blottchy spotty skin ive always got spots iv been on oxytertracyline for 4mths that didnt help and also doxytercline i had to stop them because i use the sunbed what could it be?i have lots of spots some with heads on them.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Get a full blood hormonal panel done .
This could be hormonal why your getting the spots.
Good luck
Nicola
Helpful - 0
309783 tn?1271958229
Acne can occur at any age. Androgens (male hormones found in male and female bodies) stimulate the sebaceous glands in the skin. Bacteria on the skin feed off this excess oil, called sebum, blocking the pores and leading to inflammed spots.
If oxytetracycline and doxycycline didn't work other antibiotics may help; lymecycline, erythromycin or minocycline. Alternatively, topical antibiotics (clindamycin, erythromycin) or topical retinoids (tretinoin, adapalene) may work.
Female acne patients can take an anti-androgen medicine called Spironolactone and/or an anti-androgen contraceptive pill such as Diane35 or Yasmin/Yaz.
Severe acne which does not respond to conventional treatments may warrant Oral Isotretinoin.
Unfortunately, you will have to avoid direct exposure to UV light (sun/sunbed) whilst using any of these medicines as severe sunburn or hyperpigmentation may occur.
Best Wishes, Eloise.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Acne Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions