Andrew, 22, male, Australia - NSW
For almost 3 years I've been having constant and frequent spasms in my upper glute/lower back muscles that have a lot of doctors stumped! (I don't know what muscles specifically, I will find out)
The spasms (are):
- Painless (but the large jolt the action gives the rest of my body can be painful after a while)
- Symmetrical (both sides spasm at the same time)
- Occur a lot more frequently when the muscles and surrounding muscles are relaxed
- Do not occur (as much) during exertion/exercise or while the muscles and surrounding muscles are tense
- Occur during sleep as well as while awake (sometimes occurs more frequently during sleep when muscles are relaxed)
- Have not responded to medications for myoclonus
- Are not alleviated by massage or chiropractic adjustments
MRIs, x-rays, psych evaluations and countless blood tests are all negative or inconclusive.
after 2.5+ years I'm still at square one! This has been causing a significant effect on my sleep to an immensely inhibiting extent. My entire lifestyle has been at a halt for 2 years (quit study, live at home with mum, no social life - way to tired!)
Do you know what the problem may be? (if not specifically, whether it's musculature, neurological, nervous, etc.) or what type of professional I should seek?