Detoxing from 20mg of Roxie 5x a day.

I need insight on detox from 5 20mg of Roxie a day.. My husband was on percot  for 2 years. At first it was 5mg then 10 mg.  then 2 years ago Dr. Put him on 10 mg Roxie now he's on 20mg. I think he's been on them for 1year. Now they sent a letter saying they will no longer help him. He went his Sports Dr. and received a med to help with his knee pain until surgery. His Pain Dr. said he failed his drug test.  I'm glad ,but I'm not so glad. Im Scared for him. He has 40 pills to taper down with. How strong are Oxycodone? Can you taper from such a high dose?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Are you still clean? If so you will be great support for him. He can taper from 100 mgs a day but it should be a slower taper than 40 pills. He needs to ask one of his doctors to give him a proper taper plan. I don't know how you feel about holding his meds and dispensing them. That is a lot to ask of someone in recovery (if youa re). But it is your best bet that once you get a plan that you help him achieve his goal. We are here to support you and honestly it would be best for your hubby to create his own account. It is easier that way and we can get to know him and support him.
Helpful - 0
Roxicet and Percocet are the same thing. Both contain oxycodone. It's all the same drug that he's taken, just different doses. What did the Sports Medicine doctor give him for pain?  Why did he fail his drug test? I'm sorry for the questions but I'm trying to figure out what's really going on.
Helpful - 0
Fortunately, Oxycondone is a fast acting opioid, so it is totally doable. It won't be comfortable, by any means, but he can do it. Fast acting also means fast detoxing. If he tapers down, then it will not be as intense. We can't give taper advice, but it is as it sounds, take a less and less and quit. Amino Acid or Protein shakes help a lot, EmergenC, Cal/Mag/Zinc, and good multivitamin. It will likely be hard to eat and his body needs nutrients to heal itself. Epsom Salt baths as hot as he can stand it help too. Immodium helps with the diarrhea. Light exercise, whatever he can do with a busted knee will help. If a person is otherwise healthy, opiate detox cannot kill him, it is all in the brain chemistry, but he may feel like he can't take it. Often this is a blessing in disguise. Are you sure that what you said above is all he is taking? Why did he fail a test, if he is prescribed them? It's none of my business, but I know I took way more than my wife ever knew. I can admit it now, but I was embarrassed for a long to time admit exactly how much I took.
Helpful - 0
I'm clean!! Haven't touch a pill & scared to even look at one.  It's because of me, he feels as if he can do this. The sport dr..
Helpful - 0
The sports dr gave him morphine extended.. By contract with pain management he's not to use any meds prescribe by another dr
Helpful - 0
I'm sure there are things I don't know. Like him being on 20mg.. He promised not to go up when I found out he was taking 10 mg.. My withdrawals were bad, but I thought it was going to be 10x worst. I'm just scared for him. He said he wanted to stop, but was still mentally preparing himself.  I just wish he could've done it on he's own,not like this. Today is day 1 of 10mg 4x ADAY , down from 20mg 4-5 x ADAY.
Helpful - 0
Okay. So he has Percocet and Ms ER and he's taking both? Why?  I'm missing the question here...Does he want to stop the Percocet and just take Ms? Stop them both? How will he manage his pain?
Helpful - 0
He's stopping everything. He didn't like morphine and threw them away. His surgery is postpone until he rebuilds his sick hours.. He will have nothing for pain. Motrin & naproxen !!
Helpful - 0
If I understand this correctly, your hubby was seeing a pain mgmt dr and that is where he was getting his oxycodone.  Then he ALSO went to see a Sports dr and was given morphine ER, right?  He then went back to see his pain mgmt dr AFTER seeing the Sports dr and that's when he failed his drug test and was dismissed.  Did I get that?

So.....now he's got 40 oxycodone left to wean down?
Helpful - 0
Yes
Helpful - 0
We cross posted I think~

If he had the morphine in his system when his pain mgmt dr tested him he obviously must have "thrown it away" AFTER that appointment?

Sounds like ice, elevation, NSAIDS are gonna be his only option since he doctor shopped.....maybe this is a blessing in disguise and you can both do aftercare and recovery together, huh?
Helpful - 0
Yes
Helpful - 0
Miss, I have to be honest..it is like pulling teeth with you to get information. We are all confused. For me, I lost you a couple of posts back. If you want help for your husband you need to explain everything in an orderly way so we can understand what he had, what he is doing right now. I'm glad you are still clean. I hope all of this is not a trigger for you.
Helpful - 0
I don't think I will... I'm not no way tempted.. I just trying get see if anyone has detox off Roxie @ the dose he's on.. I think we need to give ppl more credit on here., yes ppl relasps, but not everyone.. I didn't buy the drugs off the street, we both receive it from a doctor.  I think Doctors need to be held more accountable too. My neighbor / friend died in March. I had no value of her pill addition. She was cut off, went to herion ,now she dead. 7 kids.. I dare not touch another pill.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Living with an Addict Community