Death and movie stars

Oh, what an odd topic. I know. Back when I was quitting, I remember the Brittany Murphy tragedy. I was watching it thinking of how many times I took pain pills while I was sick and on other medications that an actual doctor had given me. I never told them that I was addicted to pain meds, but I would take antobiotics and steroids for strep or flu. I never gave a thought about the interactions between drugs. That poor girl didn't either. I am not sure if Heath Ledger was fully aware either. It scared me to the point of thinking that I did not want pain pills in my life anymore. I mean, what if I would have had to go to the hospital for something serious? I would have already had so much medication in my system, the doctors would have probably refused to give me anything for pain. I would have been outed right then and there. Not to mention the tolerance I had built would have prevented the doctors from being able to actually manage pain with me. Thank God that never happened. Now, this Cory Haim tragedy. I know it is not yet known how he died, but sadly, it is already being attributed to drug use. I feel for his family. I was watching Celebrity Rehand the other day, and there was a mom on there, and she said when you loose your addict, it is over. It is final. We should thank God every day we are not dead. I know many of us have tempted fate. Does anyone else feel like there has been a marked increase in celebrity related drug deaths lately or am I just reading more into the media? It seems like perscriptions meds are really getting out of hand. What do you all think?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
They justr said drug overdose
Helpful - 0
Well...you sure are waxing philosophical today,curious,thoughtful...it's a good sign Cat!
I think there is an increase in rx drug abuse,especially with kids in school. They seem to be raiding every medicine cabinent they can get to...not all kids but some.I know in my area that's what's happening.  Pills in school...very little pot or alcohol.

I don't know how old you are but in my lifetime there have been countless deaths associated with pills/drug abuse. Not to mention those living who have been to rehab over and over. I think rehab is actually keeping these folks alive longer. I'm talking about well known performers not just movie stars (I lump them all together;famous is famous!)  It seems like there are 3-4 a year who pass from drug related illness and it's been that way for a long time,it seems to me.  But,they do seem to go all at once,huh?

What's really sad to me is that most of these deaths are accidental. As the case of Brittany Murphy who had an already compromised respiratory system. So sad...

Good questions!!

xo
Helpful - 0
i was sad to hear of Haim's death today. The Lost Boys is one of my alltime favorite movies EVER. He had a lot of potential as an actor if only he would have stayed of the drugs. So sad and tragic. And yes it is crazy how many celebs have fallen in the past few years to drug overdoses. Just think how many normal people die everyday from this too that we never hear about, the numbers must be staggering.
Helpful - 0
That is my point exactly. All the every day joes who are not publicized. How many do you think we are talking here? I didn't know it at the time, but apparantly I was playing with fire. I got lucky. I had times when I felt like I couldn't breath or would take so much I would puke. Christmas night is an example. I took like 17-18 10/253. I good amount for me. Large amount. I threw up all night, was cold and shakey, and couldn't breath. I was scared. I feel badly that so many must die from these pills each year, and yet we know nothing about it. We are not educated enough to help ourselves. I just though, well, if a doc will perscribe them, they must not be like hard drugs. WRONG
Helpful - 0
Hey I think that hit the nail on the head. In school you are taught say no to drugs, but kids think drugs like herion and cocaine and others, but fail to realize prescription drugs are what they are DRUGS. I grew up in a private school and the thought never crossed me to go out looking for drugs on the street. My addiction came from Prescription, things like lortab,soma and anything else I could get from the doctor. Too easy to fool yourself into justifing that it is not as bad.Also addiction hits all walks of life. Doesn't matter if you are rich, poor or your race or where you live in your community. And as far as kids, to many parents don't lock up their meds and think it would never happen to their kids. It can and it does. I think there needs to be more education out there about prescription drugs. who knows how many people wouldn't be in the situation they are now if they knew.
Helpful - 0
Yeah I said that tonight in a meeting the celebs in the spotlight are numerous indeed but imagine all the nameless faces that are not in the spotlight dying to this disease. It is a dreaded fatal disease if we don't put it into remission.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Social Community