Addiction: Social Community

Weekend recipes

As well all know the holidays are coming again .I love having new recipes.We did this last year!! I am going to try to pull the post up to start this.  Plz everybody add to the already great ones we have had.
sorry, i have no recipes..i dont cook but i will ask the hubby.
Delicious peanut butter cookies by me
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup peanut butter, chunky or smooth
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
PREPARATION:
In a bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Beat together the butter, peanut butter, and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Gradually beat in the flour mixture.

Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, or about 2 to 4 hours.
Roll into balls place on cookie sheet press down on them with dinner fork
dipping the fork in flour helps the dough from sticking to fork...
cook at 375  for 8 to 10 minutes
by troubleinohio

1 gallon milk
1 block velveeta cheese
3 to 5 lbs red potatoes (leave skins on if desired--- I do!)
2-3 Medium onions
3-4 TBS chicken bouillon powder
Salt, Pepper, Garlic and parsley to taste
1 stick of margarine/butter

quarter potatoes and slice onions thinly. BOil them til nearly tender, drain and return to large stock pot.
Add in Milk, cheese (cut into quarters or so to help melt it faster), butter and spices. Cook gently, stirring often to prevent scorching until done.

Dumplings:

The last 5-10 minutes of cooking soup, mix 6 eggs and roughly 2 C flour in a bowl. Add pepper, parlsey, salt, and mix well.  Try to get it to a thick doughy consistency and not too runny. and drop into simmering soup and repeat til mix is done and cook until they are no longer raw in middle. (tip, if your first dumplings float up to the top fast and look like scrambled eggs, you need to add more flour, lol)  

You can also add cooked bacon or ham into this soup too!

Enjoy! This goes good with pumpernickle bread and salad!

BY VOS'ROSE

Here's my family tradition for the Holidays....Even confirmed spinach haters love this one:

Spinach Madeline

2 med. onions, chopped
6 oz. Jalapeno cheese (note:  Velveeta used to make this, now I use their Mexican Cheese)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup spinach water (reserved after cooking the spinach)
1 stick or margarine or butter (I prefer real butter!)
1 sm. can evaporated milk
1/4 tsp. celery salt
Dash of Worchestershire sauce
2 boxes frozen spinach
Bread Crumbs (plain - not the Italian variety)

Boil spinach, drain and reserve 1/2 cup of the water.  Saute onions in butter.  Add cheese, evaporated milk and spinach water.  Stir until cheese melts.  Add seasonings.  (Note - you can adjust seasoning to your taste...I always add a little cayenne pepper here.)  Add spinach to mixture.  Pour into casserole, top with bread crumbs and bake in 350 oven until thoroughly heated - generally 20 - 25 minutes.

This is a great make ahead dish.  I always make it a day or two ahead of time and just refrigerate.  Then, on the day, pop in the oven.  You'll love this one!

I'm going to make potato soup this week!  I haven't had what my Mom always called Peanut Butter Criss-Cross cookies in years!  Thanks for reminding me about them!  They were my Dad's very favorite cookie.  If you remember my story, his cancer diagnosis and death is what sent me into the spiral of drug addiction.  I'm going to make some for my daughter and husband in memory and tribute to him!  Thanks, guys!  I'm looking forward to more recipes!

I'm going to add one more...another family Holiday tradition and oh, so yummy!

xoxoxo
Rosie

by VOsRose

To: All
Another tradition for the Holidays and a yummy alternative to "candied" sweet potatoes.  Give this one a try...it's so good it can stand as a dessert!

Sweet Potato Casserole

3 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes (you can bake them yourself or used canned - but if you bake them yourself they're better!)
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted (real butter is best!)
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix ingredients and place in large, buttered, shallow baking dish.  Sprinkle with Topping (below) and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.  Make sure to check often after about 20 minutes to make sure topping isn't burning.  Sometimes you need to cook a little longer than 25 minutes to make sure topping is cooked and there aren't "dry" areas.

Topping:

1 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup margarine or butter, softened but not melted (I won't say it again!  LOL)
1/2 cup flour
1 cup choped pecans

Mix butter, flour and sugar using a pastry blender or fingers.  Add chopped pecans, mix well and sprinkle evenly over top of casserole until all used.

This topping, basically, makes pralines on top of the casserole.  It is to die for delicious - and not the least bit fattening!  LOL

Keep sending the recipes.  I'm getting hungry sitting here.

If anyone is interested, I can submit some family Sicilian/Italian recipes from the "old country".  

Have a great day, all, and happy cooking!

xoxoxo
Rosie

BY TROUBLEINOHIO

heres another of my creations

Delicious Veggie Rice Medley

Use Fresh and thinly sliced of the following:
Cabbage
mushrooms
carrots
rosemary leaves (about 15 or so of the "needles")

Use Frozen straight out of the bag:
Green sweet peas
green peppers
pearl onions
fully cooked Shrimp

About 1/2 can of chicken broth
1 1/2 cup of instant rice
season with basil leaves, salt and pepper and minced garlic

Saute veggies and shrimp in small amount of butter in large frying pan, then add broth and spices until broth is cooked out and veggies are desired tenderness. Serve over cooked white rice. Delicious!!