Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

2yr, daughter having withdrawl symptoms??

Thought this might be the place to post.  Okay, my 2yr daughter had a real bad virus. Cold sores all in mouth and couldn't eat.  Anyway, doctor gave us some APAP/CODEINE for her to take.  Here's my question...She was on this for about 7 days, 3/4 tsp every four hours.  She hasn't had any since last night at 11pm.  She has been awful today, complaining that everything hurts and asking for medicine.  Fussy, lots of crying and whining.  Is this just a bit of withdrawl since she was on it for a week??  (Cold sores have cleared up, and she's eating now) Also, if it is withdrawl any suggestions on how to help her??

I think you should contact your doctor and go with his advice. When it comes to children I don't think I would go with suggestions from someone who is not a professional no matter how much experience they may have with the subject.

I don't think the child is having WD after just 7 days but then again I am not a Dr.

GOOD LUCK & I HOPE SHE FEELS BETTER
Thanks for replying...waiting on doc's office to call me back!!
I agree I would inform the Dr of your concerns and see what he/she says. Hope she is better soon.
absolutely sounds like withdrawl.  take her temp.  and her blood pressure.  how many mgs. was the dosage? every 4 hours for 7 days?? that's a lot.  ESPECIALLY for a child!  and codeine for a 2 year old???? I just asked my fiance who's in dental school and has he never heard of a child getting codeine unless it was for extensive and painful surgery.....i'm not sure if it's common but it definately raises a bit of a red flag on this doctor in my opinion.  was it REALLY necessary?? Motrin and some orajel wouldn't have done the trick..??? I'm sorry you guys are going through this! I can't imagine.   her tolerance is much lower and her body will feel the slightest change. I"m not a doctor, but I'm also not an idiot. I would say its withdrawls.  Definately contact your doc if your worried.  You don't want her to go through this torture.  It's awful.  Maybe he'll set up a weaning plan.  Nothing too long...just a few days possibly.  
Yes she may need to taper

http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/info/medication/a-e/acetaminophen-codeine.htm

Special Instructions
Give only the amount prescribed by your child's doctor.
Your child should not take this medication more than 5 times in one day.
If giving your child a liquid, carefully measure each dose using an oral syringe or medicine spoon.
This medicine can be given with food to prevent stomach upset.
Do not give your child acetaminophen (Tylenol", Genapap", Panadol", Tempra") or other over-the-counter medications that contain acetaminophen while using this medication.
Contact your doctor if you give your child too much medicine.
Do not give this medicine if your child is allergic to codeine.
Check the labels on all over-the-counter medicines you give your child to make sure they do not contain acetaminophen. Too much acetaminophen may be harmful.
This medicine may make your child drowsy. Watch carefully if your child is performing a task requiring alertness, such as climbing stairs.
If your child requires this medicine for a long period of time, the dose may need to be slowly decreased and not stopped quickly.
Do not use after the expiration date on the bottle/package.
Keep this medication out of the reach of children.
If too much medicine is taken by accident, call the Drug and Poison Information Center (DPIC) at 513-636-5111 or 1-800-222-1222, or call your child's doctor immediately.
Slapperman: Thank you, I'll get on there and try that out.
Spacecadette: It was 3/4 of a tsp. for each dose.  Motrin, orajel, and just children's tylenol were tried for 5 days.  It was her first time getting cold sores and they were everywhere (inside mouth, tongue, chin, lips).  She was not eating and losing weight so needed something to numb pain to get food in her.  I do trust her doctor though. It was a pretty severe case of cold sores. (days away from admitting her to hospital for iv fluids).  
Thank you all though, it seemed like it was withdrawl to me.  But, had never really heard of it in a child.