Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

A Gift for the MH Family

Hey everyone, I'm a type A person and an organizer (I think we all probably have some of that in common) and I wanted to find a way to do something in thanks to all of you.  Without you I probably would not have detoxed because God knows I could not find help in my area anywhere...and I tried...lord knows I tried.

What I decided to do was to put together all the wonderful ideas and suggestions for withdrawal symptoms.  We all wind up typing over and over and over the same things...so I wanted to make it easier for everyone.  I hope you all find this beneficial.  Post it in your journal...change it around to make it your own, post it daily in the forum if you want...whatever works best.  

Thank you DominoSarah for all of your help....I'm sure a lot more could have been added to this but my focus was really on withdrawal relief.  Thanks you everyone who told me these different remedies while I was detoxing or afterwards.  I cannot take credit for any of these ideas......that was all of you!

Once again, thanks so much, I love and appreciate all of you.  Here it goes...I hope you all like it and, like I said, feel free to make it your own, in your own words if you want.  I'm going to keep mine posted in my journal so I can cut and paste over.  I think Gnarly and Sarah should decide if this should be a permanent type post or not.

Have a wonderful weekend  xoxo

Withdrawal Symptom Relief:

****PLEASE NOTE:  Before using any of the vitamins, medications or supplements mentioned in this list please consult with your doctor.  We are not doctors and do not know what medications you are taking, it is important that you make sure that there will not be any adverse effects to using even something that seems as benign as a multi-vitamin****

First, use the Search MedHelp and search for the Thomas Recipe.

Restless Leg Syndrome:  Hylands Restless Leg Tablets (make sure it is the kind with Quinine in it)
or
     Tonic Water (Schweppes is a good one) that also has quinine in it, sip on it until bedtime.  Add something to it if you don't like the taste.  I used sugar-free Crystal Light Tangerine flavor in mine.
      Orthopedic socks, the tight ones for the lower legs
       Ace bandages for the upper legs and arms, wrap tightly or use towels wrapped tightly
      Before wrapping everything up rub some Ben Gay or Tiger Balm into the skin
or
       Heating Pads

Achy Legs:  So your legs aren't going a mile a minute but they are still achy and a little bit restless...use the ace bandages on them, have your dog lie on your legs or even your kitty cat stretching out...just something a bit heavy.

Big bag of Epsom Salts:  A good 15 to 20 minute soak in a really hot bath with salts in it will relieve a lot of your symptoms like anxiety for a while in addition to helping get toxins out of your skin.  Take as many per day as needed, definitely take one before you wrap up for RLS for the night.

Water, Lifewater with Electrolytes, Gatorade, anything to make sure you don't get dehydrated because that will make your symptoms worse.  If you have a juicer fresh juice would be terrific as long as your tummy can handle it.  Pedialyte can be made into popsicles...maybe not quite the same as the name brand but healthy and will feel good on your throat while giving you those great electrolytes!  Because detoxing means you will be sweating out a lot of the toxins this means you will be sweating out all of your fluids...so drink a ton of liquids...at least double to triple what you normally do.

Protein shakes, bananas, toast, rice, applesauce, pudding snacks...whatever your tummy can handle.  We never want to eat but the same thing goes here...if you don't eat a little bit your symptoms will be worse.

Sleep and Anxiety:  Chamomile Tea, Melatonin, Sundown Super Melatonin (has Valerian, Passion Flower and other items good for sleep and anxiety).  You can go the Valium route IF your doctor prescribes and you would only want to use it for maybe 7 days because you don't want to wind up addicted to benzo's.

Vitamins:  Cal-Mag-Zinc 3in1, Good Multi-Vitamin, Super B Complex, Amino Acids like L-Lysine, B-12 injection or sublingual (this is for after the insomnia part of WD is over) for energy.  Try to get these items at Walmart...you will save at least 50% over a drugstore like Walgreens.

Bathroom Issues:  Immodium....you don't want to stop things up completely because this is part of your system voiding the toxins so please follow instructions on the package.

Tummy Issues:  Zantac or any OTC tummy product.  You can also talk to your doctor about Zofran if it is really bad.

Dark Chocolate:  Chocolate effects the pleasure center which opiates also does.  Dark chocolate is best because it helps with cravings AND it is considered to be healthier.

Clonidine if your doctor will prescribe it.  It is a high blood pressure medication so you need to talk to your doctor first.  It is also used for opiate, nicotine and alcohol withdrawals.  It does help reduce the symptoms quite a bit.  One of the main benefits is it helps with cravings.  It is only used for 7 to 10 days otherwise you would have to taper off of it (like most medications of this sort).

A local couple who provide fresh raw honey swear by bee pollen sprinkled on cereal, salads, vegies...pretty much whatever you want to put it on will help.  One of our members commented that he just ingested it by a teaspoonful...I checked with the couple and they said 3 times daily.  Our member said it helped a lot!

Sunshine and Exercise:  Even though you won't feel like it getting outside for a short walk, soaking up some sunshine, feeling the breeze on your face.  Light exercise will be very beneficial.

Hi Krazy it is a good idea but it is next to impossible to get medhelp to keep a post up   we use to have a post that said ''please read b/4 posting''  and they took it down no mater how much Sarah and I bit ched it has been a long time now..  as for posting it we look for members to participate in the forum  this would be a great way for you to bring this to the table when needed this will be your contribution to our community where glad to have your help  if each of us do one thing good this forum works like a well oiled machine so you are now officially the berror of the home cure post  run with it....Gnarly
Sorry, I had to redo posting because I missed part of it.  So if I understand what you are saying is that MH will keep taking it down if it is a permanent posting so that I should post it myself periodically?  How many times?  Once a week?  Daily?  I can see where that would work ... peeps could just say search for Withdrawal Symptom Relief to find it??

Let me know what you think would be best as far as when I should post or how many times and I would be more than happy to make this my contribution to the forum....one nice thing about that is I could add/deduct from the posting as new things come up or old ones are disproven.

Thanks!!!

COMMUNITY LEADER
We used to have health pages with this info on them.
They have been down now for quite a few months now.
Thanks for rewriting it.
Your very welcome.  I couldn't find anything except Thomas Recipe.  Hopefully those who want to use it will post in their journal or somewhere so they have it and I will do what Gnarly suggested which is basically that I post it, keep it updated, etc periodically which I'm more than happy to do.  I just wanted to make things a little easier on everyone.  Less time typing up this stuff and more time talking about aftercare, etc.  Ulterior motive :-)
Krazy post it on the nebees posts we need them to feel welcome and that will help them most people read the posts so if it is out there people will find it   if someone says it is day one post it to them you get the idea we should all try to personalize as much as we can again you remember your first post and also how alone it feels to even be in this situation they take a chance reaching out  it is up to us to reach in.
............................................Gnarly.......................................
Okay, I can do that.  You are quite right about the reading...when I was here the first couple of days I read all the postings with newbies so I can see that after a few busy days it could be found by all quite easily

Thanks!
Okay I've been asked and have agreed to take on the responsibility of contributing to our forum here by posting the above to the Day 1 newbie postings.  I'm very happy to do this so that it frees up time for all of you with more experience to offer support and work on aftercare and how to work on life-time sobriety with the newbies...which we all know is harder than detox.

If for some reason I'm working or unavailable and you need the sheet just go to my journal....it is posted there and all you will have to do is cut and paste it.  Please cut and paste it as is though because of the warnings about medications, supplements, etc.

Thanks!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Dont feel pressured to do this tho as your recovery comes first.  The word will get out that you have this in your journal.  I dont want you to become overwhelmed as we do have days with lots of new ones on here.  The cleaned up version is good!
No worries hun.  If I happen to be in the forum and Day 1 newbies come in I'll be more than happy to post it....I usually try to catch them right away so I can let them know they've been heard and I start out by giving them a list of goodies to pick up :-)

One thing I will never, ever do is get in the way of my sobriety which is why I took last night off.  I had a busy day ... didn't sleep well the night before so I rested last night and got a good night sleep.  

I figure that Gnarly is right that I don't need to post with every Day 1...on a busy week if I post just a few times it will get around PLUS everyone knows they can go to my journal to cut and paste it too.  I did add one more part that I thought was crucial...things to help with pain...you know...thermacare heat wraps, stop pain roll on, lidocaine and/or voltaren gel, therapeutic massage, etc etc.  

I like that I can make a contribution to the forum...and quite frankly, I like knowing that I can free up time for all of you (the more experience) to work on the harder parts of this stuff with the newbies...like aftercare, lifelong sobriety, support for those things.  

I do promise I will not put my sobriety into jeopardy.  If for some reason I feel I can't keep up with everything I will be up front and honest about it and ask if someone else can take over....okay?  I make that promise to you and I always keep my promises :-)

COMMUNITY LEADER
Okay, i just wanted to make sure.  Compiling that list will be very helpful so thank you very much.

I bet you have your magazines alphabetized!!!!!  lol
LMAO  my wife use to have a organizer bissness she lost hope with me we drive each other nutz if I dont nail it down it will be moved then moved again  can't ever find my a s s drives me nutzzzzz
Don't have any magazines but I have a neat office, my books are alphabetized.  I'm a note girl...note pads of things to do that kind of thing.  I need it or I'd forget.  I'm not as organized as I used to be.  My main skill has always been organizational skills...I've gotten and maintained some awesome jobs because of that skill...and no, I'm not OCD...you'd have to see inside my closet for the proof lol
I gave up on my hubby years ago...I'm into a clean house, he's a slob, I'm organized...I can't find a thing in his home office.  I at least wash my car occasionally...he swears if he washes his the dirt is the only thing that holds it together so it will fall apart lol.  I've learned to live with it....plus he's learned to cook really, really good AND clean the kitchen pretty good after he's done so that's been a good trade off :-D
Ya wher both good cooks my wife is a recipe cook I just know what spices I like  lots of fresh veggies some good cuts of meet and I will make your mouth water.......
COMMUNITY LEADER
The man cave at my house is just shameful.........and he doesnt care!
Same here...people come over and I have been known to put a note on the door saying "I am not responsible for the condition of this room" lol.  He just laughs.  I'm heading to bed now...gotta be a good girl and get some rest so I don't get yelled at for overdoing it ;-)

Have a great night....you too Mark!
Your suggestions are good-  One thing I would not suggest are the compression stockings/tight hose. There are some folks who should just not use them: Anyone with diabetes, neuropathy, peripheral vascular disease, a leg ulcer or infected area on the leg. We can't know the medical background for everyone and don't want to cause an injury with our advice. I would remove that suggestion.

Also, the Epsom salt baths. Along with being relaxing, the main reason these salts are so helpful is because they contain magnesium which is what muscles are craving. The magnesium is absorbed during the soak, thus calming the RLS.  

All the best with your continued recovery; keep it first and foremost in your daily life-
Thanks Vicki...when I get back I'll make some changes.  I'm going to leave the compression stockings on BUT I will put your warning right there just like we decided to do with the vitamins and supplements.  Even if I don't put the suggestion on the paper someone will suggest it...I've seen it often...so I'd rather have it suggested with the warning.

I think this is great but it's nice for everyone to contribute to newbies posts with their own experiences and what works for them.
Isn't that what it's all about?  Sharing our own experiences?  I think that's all that we do and can do.
Yes Pat...I still think that everyone should share their own experiences.  Originally I just thought that anyone who wanted to use this page could come and cut and paste it for themselves.  I will talk to Mark about your viewpoint tonight and see what he says.  Having me post on Day pages was an idea he had.  I'm willing to go anyway the majority wants.  I don't want to step on toes or upset anyone.  The ONLY reason I did this paper was to make it easier for everyone who wanted to use it.

I still like the idea of me just periodically posting it in the forum but I've been told it will get pulled if I do that.  I will send a message to Lira and see what the mods have to say about it too :-)

Will try to do this so everyone is happy....if it is going to make anyone unhappy I'll just delete it.
Seriously, I'd leave it off. Those stockings can be dangerous and many people don't even know they have circulatory insufficiency. It would be a bad way to find out.  If you keep the suggestion there, please be sure to list all the ways to check for adequate circulation and list the dangers to compromised individuals.  I'm sorry to push this so strenuously but I'd be remiss if I didn't.
I gotta say PK you sure have a lot of mojo.  its all good and I think your determination, drive, and well wishes are incredibly powerful.  I like the other comments too though, what people said ... its nice for the newbies to have the idea that things are personalized for them and like, they're the center of attn. when they come on here for the first time etc.  But you are great to do this!  I admire your hard work and kindness.
Thanks hun...that's why I like my original idea of having anyone who wants the paper to take it, put it in their journal, personalize it their way and move on from there.  I certainly don't want to cause problems...I just wanted to help.

I'm just going to drop the whole thing!
Yeah I've got mojo all right...but typically it seems to upset people...I need to put my Type A in the closet, do my own thing and just quit trying to help.  Seems to be safer that way.  Hugz