MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

Addicted?

Do you become addicted or build up a tolerence when taking pain meds for pain? Is there a difference?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hey I was originally put on pain meds for kidney stones, I mean I was given everything ( Oxycodone, stadol nose spray, Darvecet, Dilauded, hydrocodone,) I have taken all of them at one point or another for the pain, but then I noticed how even when I really wasn't in alot of pain they made me feel so good, energy happiness powerful like I could accomplish anything so that is when the trouble began then I ended up on hydrocodone I should have never taken that first pill for the Fake Happy feeling just please be very careful theese drugs are HIGHLY addictive doctors don't really warn people the way they should, just take them for the pain and then STOP!!
Helpful - 0
You can get addicted to pain med if you are on them for a certain amount of time. I am sure there are a lot of people in here like me that have been taking them for 3 years or more.  If it is for the short term, you should be alright but only take what the dr prescribes to you.
Helpful - 0
If you take them for any length of time you will build up a tolerance. that in its self does not mean you will become addicted,however if you take them for any length of time you will become dependent
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community