Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

Amino Acids

To everyone who was asking in my update post.. I will list the suggested amino's and there doses.. YOu do not have to take all of these... The ones listed are primarily for addiction to pain pills or opiates or any kind, and ones to help with depression and anxiety that is caused by pill abuse and detox.. also PAWS (Post Accute Withdrawl Syndrome).. I will put " ** " by the ones that are essential.. But doing the whole treatment will have the best results..

All of this program is from the book END YOUR ADDICTION NOW.. the doctor who wrote it ran a treatment facility in UPstate New york where they gave patients amino acids and vitamin via IV during treatment.. He also counsels patients individually.. All of these things are meant to rebuild activity in the major neuro transmitters.. as addicts our neurotransmitters have been disrupted by our use of drugs.. even stuff like cigarettes and eating alot of sugar can disrupt them.. with drugs however it can be more damaging.. I will list the aminos maily used for addiction, their dosages etc.. everything should be taken on a empty stomach... an hour b4 meals.. Take all of them together with lots of water...

**B- vitamin Complex either 50mgs or 100mgs, needed for absorption of aminos..

**Multi mineral vitamin, just good to take all around

5HTP-- this is what tryptophan gets turned into prior to being turned into serotonin in our brains. Serotonin is what is usually depleted if we are depressed and anxious.. Taking this will help with PAWS ( post accute withdrawl syndrome) or eliminate you suffering from them all together      DO NOT TAKE IF YOU ARE TAKING A SSRI OR TRICYLIC ANTI DEPRESSANT
Dosage-- up to 300mgs a day 3x DAILY ( I take 100mgs 3x per day, start with the lower dose and move up if needed)

**L-glutamine--amino acid required for GABA production, that is the relaxing part of our brain.    up to 2000mgs 3x per day.. ( I take 1000 mgs 3x day, again start lower and work up if needed)

L-Taurine-- another "relaxing" amino  up to 1000mgs 3x daily

**DLPA-- helps restore/rebuilds the function to the pain receptors working with the enporphins/enkephalins ( "your natural opiates")
DO NOT TAKE IF YOU ARE TAKING A SSRI OR TRICYLIC ANTIDEPRESSANT
Dose-- up to 2000mgs 3x per day (again you can start lower like 1000mgs 3x daily)

L-leucine-- required for the production of endorphins up to 500mgs 3x per day

L-methionine-- same as leucine

If you find yourself really struggling with energy after being on the aminos you can add L-tyrosine to the mix in the early part of the day.. up to 1,500mgs..  This is not usually used in the treatment of pain pill addiction and can over stimulate some people I would say only take it if you are still struggling with energy after starting everything else..

If you find yourself having some anxiety the amino L-theanine is like natural valium.. It has helped me so much I no longer need to take xanax at all for my panic attacks

If you are interested in other ways to help heal.  Ester C 500mgs to 1000mgs per day can be very helpful.. as well as extra calcium and magnesium.. Alpha lipoic acid is a anti oxidant that helps portect your body against free radicals.. EFA"S can also help in the form of fish oils and omega 3's

As far as sleep.. in my early days off of pills I took a sleep blend from GNC with a L-theanine and calcium magnesium liquid everynight and slept like a baby.

I suggest GNC to purchase this stuff they are pretty cheap (some stuff is only 4.99 a bottle)  they were also super helpful and knew alot.. I got a gold card to save some bucks in the future..

After a few months if you are feeling good you can taper the aminos back to once a day... then a few months after that a few times a week.. the best part about taking aminos instead of drugs is you don't have to take them forever to get the benefit.. they FIX the problem not put a band aid on it..

If you have any questions I am always around.. Stephanie

i see that some cant be taken with SSRI or tricylic anti. depr., what about xanax and klonipin?  i just printed out your post and am headed to local rite-aid. walmart, brooks or walgreens, wherever i can get it, on friday...  we dont have a GNC around here, thanks hun...
Benzo's are fine... you may find that once you start the aminos you will not feel the need to take them as much..
The reason not to take the with SSRI's is that it can cause an over abundance of serotonin.. Which causes headaches and other unpleasant symptoms.. even serotonin syndrome..
When I went on the amino's I tapered off my anti depressants..and I only took xanax on occasion for panic attacks.. so I stopped those too..
your awesome peeps!!  i think my new anti-depressant is a tricylic one...gotta google...thanx
i also just wanted to mention in case i didnt tell you, i have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and its not fun, so if you have any questions i might be able to help you in that area, although its a fairly new diagnoses to me also, but have done alot of online research on it...
what were your symptoms when you were diagnosed?? My mom is the one who brought the idea up.  We were discussing how I was feeling.. She has rheumatiod arthritis in her neck. So I looked some stuff up on web.md  and alot of stuff matched up with fibro.. especially all the muscle pain and spasms I have.. and I have tightness in my jaw.. but I don't grind my teeth.. weird stuff..
Let me know.. I would love to hear about how you got diagnosed..
You can also check with you doc or the pharmacist you go to... They generalize all of them.. but the doctor is the book used them with some people while they were tapering off of their anti depressant..
I find that the 5HTP with the L-glutamine helps me way more than Lexapro or Trazodone did.. I feel like myself.. not a "numbed" version of me... I felt like my emotions were "watered down" if that makes sense.. and they had also helped to suck all the sex drive out of me.. which is one of the things I am working on with my acupunturist.. seems even after stopping pills and AD's  it still hasn't returned.. so gonna get some help with it..