Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

Any suggestions on stopping almost 2 yrs vicodin usage?

So August 13th of 2010 I was walking back to my "friend's" (I'll get to the reason why its in quotations in a bit)

My jaw was wired shut for 8 weeks and was prescribed liquid loratab(never took any sort of narcotics before this) on week 3 I was laying in bed and started getting horrific pains in my side. I ended up having punemonia in my left lung which transfered to my right lung and I was on the hospital for 15 days getting dilaudid every 6 hrs for those 15 days because of the pain. I truly believe this is where I became addicted. After I got my wires off I had reconstructive surgery on my torn tendon and was prescribed norcos for the pain for that. The hand surgeon gave me a new script every week I went in for a check-up without even asking for it, by now I was already addicted and didn't realize my body needed it to function. After a couple months I needed all 4 wisdom teeth pulled and was given another script for norcos.

I cannot believe how doctors just give this stuff out like its nothing serious. This whole ordeal was not my fault and now almost two years and probably over $15,000 later I am still taking norcos everyday all day long. I have tried to stop probably I don't know 30 different times, I went to rehab for 3 wks once. I've tried tapering, cold turkey, subutex.

I have gotten so bad that I am taking 10- 3x a day. I just want my life back. I used to go to the gym 6 days a week and live a healthy fit lifestyle. Now I go days without eating. Only worrying if I'm gonna have enough pills. I've stolen money from my family, I've sold my possesions.

Please anyone that can suggest anything id greatly appreciate it. I just want to stop and don't know what to do I've tried many
I was attacked by a group of 7-10 ppl for no apparent reason, I believe they thought I was someone else. I was lucky to have survived this ordeal, sometimes I wish I didn't because of the shape I am in now and how I am addicted to this awful drug unitentionally. I never used drugs before this and wish I would have never taken a pain killer. I just want my life back
Dear Friend,
It's 3 in the morning here, and I just woke to back pain to see your post.  Due to back pain that led to getting a new disc, I am also on prescription pain killers (Opana ER).  My story isn't nearly as horrible as yours, and I want to tell you I am very sorry. Very Sorry for what you have been through.  I have also been through 3 1/2 weeks of rehab--and started again bc of pain (but after the hell of the last 2 + years, I think I can deal with that pain now).  During this last 2 + years (especially the 10 months I have lived post Soma and Clonazapam), I have realized the havoc this drug has worked on my mind.  I am sure that since you have tried to quit so many times, you understand the mental hell too.  I am at the place that I HAVE to get on a drug that I can cut (Opana ER cannot be cut).  Then I plan to taper off the drug.  I get great support and information here.  I also go to AA face-to-face meetings (which help with sanity and give me community), NA phone meetings, and AA computer meetings.  I also have online chats that help.  I just want to tell you that I know we can find a great deal of loving support here.  Others will post their experience, strength and hope.  I felt it was so important I write immediately, in hopes that anything I share can give you hope too.  Don't give up.  I believe that God will do a major healing work in both you and me.
Your Friend, Marie
Hi there and Welcome to Medhelp.  I'm so sorry about the ordeal you've been through - being attacked like that without provocation is heartbreaking to read.  

You've come to the right place for help, or for a good start at least.  I say this because when you wrote that you take 10 - 3x a day, did you mean 10 pills 3 x a day, or 10mg pills 3 x a day?  If you meant 10 pills, what mg are they?  Is hydrocodone the only medication you're taking?

Please post back with this information so we can help you further.  I'm glad to see that  you're seeking help for your addiction.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Sandy :)

I appreciate the comments. Hey ya it really is heart breaking and has changed my life drastically not only with the addiction but my fear of going out and enjoying myself not knowing if this could happen again.
And the fact that now I know you can't really trust anyone to have your back. I'm a pretty big guy but with the odds stacked against me or anyone for that fact not much u could do but try and survive I guess.

And yes sadly I meant 10 10/325 norcos 3x a day sometimes more but rarely less :(. It was not always this bad but it grows uncontrollably.

I have dealt with a lot besides this event recently of past childhood sexual assaults when I was 8 or 9 years old from my older brother. I have never used drugs before this but now I probably do use them in a way to mask the pain. I recently told my parents about what happened when I was younger and its like I need these pills to be able to live with myself now, I know that's not right and its not my fault what happend but I always get to thinking and use more and more. I have a lot on my plate and just want my life back like I said.
And currently hydrocodone is all I'm taking but I have taken oxy,morphine,tramadol,methadone just to answer ur question.

Another thing that has messed with me a lot is the lady who I have gotten most of my stuff from turned out to be an Addictions counsler how messed up is that?